ok so it's the 11th hour - my first bass will be classic stingray 4 over precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Vee, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Ok so after contemplating for weeks and weeks and demoing over and over I cannot deny it. I like the Classic Stingray 4 is better than any precisions and I am going for it. The neck of this one particular bass is just so incredible I cannot pass it up.

Anyone care to stop me? Am I making a mistake getting an active bass? I figure in about a year I will get an AMSTD P-bass.

There's just something about the feel of the Stingray that's magical to me!

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I haven't had any issues with active basses. However, I have had dead spot issues with both Music Man Stingray basses I've owned. The bottom line (no pun intended) is that you have to play what you like regardless of what anyone else thinks.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Nope.

Stingrays are great basses.

Both can be considered one trick ponys (not a bad thing) but both can be used for almost any musical style.

Buy what feels, plays and sounds best.

Active, passive..... Who cares? Both can be great. Only downside IMO is when gigging one of each. Active tends to be louder.

4. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

this will be only for recording for now (into LA-610) which is why i have second thoughts because i keep thinking i should be responsible and have a P at least at first. but every time i go to GC and pickup that stingray it just has this feel that is amazing compared to anything else. the biggest part is the neck feel which seems super flat and wide, and the mutes which sound so cool. and the one piece maple just feels so good. also, this particular bass is setup super low but somehow never has any fret buzz. also, even though i am not big on the slap style, when i give that bass a gentle slap its just perfect! seems so nonchalant to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you're set set on the Stingray you should probably close your thread about choosing between the two Precision models for your first bass.

I've owned a few of each and I currently prefer the Precision... but GAS is always in flux :bassist:

7. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

u have owned stingray classic?

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Geezz dude...you seem to be trying real hard to be "talked out" of spending your cash....:D

I, and probably 80 percent of the folks here on TB have, at one time or another, bought a bass and later regretted the purchase. Hell, that's half the fun of it!!!! We trade up, down, sideways and back and forth. It really is the nature of the beast that s GAS.

You like the 'ray? Go for it! what's the worst that could happen? you decide later that it's not for you and you trade for your DREAM bass....we've all done that, sometimes over and over and over and over........you get the idea!!

Good luck!!

9. PWRL

PWRL

It sounds to me like you already made your decision. Don't second-guess it. You did your research and found what speaks to you, so follow through on your instincts and pull the trigger.

10. steamthief

steamthief

Pull the trigger - those are very nice basses! Post pics when you do.

11. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

im doing it. they are 1799 new i am getting for like 1350 new!! :) in like one yea i will cop an american special P.

12. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Ok so is the store open on Sunday?

Buy it, take pics, post them, and ignore anyone who points out that a good pro setup by someone who works with you in the room can make most instruments play nonchalant. Even Ps.

Active is no big change from passive. All of my basses had preamps until a few weeks ago, when I found a passive gem that's already become #1 for live and recording. As mentioned, it's only an issue live if the volume difference is big and you don't have a way to easily compensate so that stage amp and PA DI or mic levels stay reasonably close.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Yah...it's not rocket surgery....:)

14. cnltb

cnltb

Seems like you have come across a bass that may just work for you.
    Good!:)

15. miles'tone

miles'tone

Yes buy it as you've convinced us it's the right bass for you.

If still in doubt, watch Ed Freidland- The bass whisperer's review of them on youtube.

Then buy it.

16. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Man EFF responsibility. No one needs to own a P bass. Not badmouthing them by any means but if you want a Stingray then get one! Stingrays are excellent bass guitars and if you know your way around EQ you can get pretty much any tone out of it...of course the Stingray will always excel at sounding like a Stingray though!

Basically, BUY THE RAY

17. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Drop the idea that you can in any way know what will suit you in the future, and forget about one bass forever.

Any decent bass that you like playing and sounds good to you will do for now, and by sticking to oft-recorded popular models you really aren't gambling that much about it's suitability for recording or live use.

Enjoy your purchase and welcome to the ride!

18. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Media:
    Yeh, or brain science!

19. MyMusic

MyMusic

You've made your decision. Get the Ray now and the P next year. You could have been playing and fondling it.

20. miles'tone

miles'tone

By the way, if you dig the wide, flat (thin front to back) neck of the stingray, you should check out the '62 AVRI or the American Special Fenders when you do eventually go P-bass shopping. They have necks of very similar measurements/feel.

21. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Among others, I owned a tobacco burst Classic StingRay 4, birdseye maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and the 2-band eq.

It probably won't make much difference which bass you start with as you will probably get the urge to try others.

Choosing a bass is a personal thing. I resisted owning a Precision Bass for many years and now they are my current favorite.

I still keep my eyes open for good deals on StingRays and will surely own a few more.