ok... so now that I am gigging live 3x per month...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by rokkitt, Nov 14, 2012.

1. rokkitt

rokkitt

so, I am realizing that equipment and non-failure of such equipment is paramount.

so... mic cables.... any special ones to use? I am using LIVE wire Advantage stuff...(yes its from GC)

seems to be ok for now... I have 2 --50 footers, 2 --25 footers, and 2 --15 footers, for all applications...

any other suggestions? or what do you guys and gals use?

Trying to upgrade my stuff to be total pro and total bullet-proof.

I am learning as I go...did 6 live gigs so far..all seems to go smoothly.

I set up, take two cables to the board, one for BASS di and one for MIC.

any thoughts? or just use these cables until they break, and buy more...LOL

Rokkitt... bassist with Hair Raid DC

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

I have always bought cheap ones and kept spare ones with me. A $50 mic cable can break or short just as easily as a cheapy can. So I buy 2 or more for the same price and throw them all in my "ready for anything" gear box.

But I'm probably the wrong guy to ask because we could do a whole thread on what's in my 55 pound gear box (which includes a spare head, spare DI, several sets of strings for guitar and bass even though I don't play guitar, batteries even though nothing I own uses them, etc.).

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I've also read that a lot of TBrs take a backup amp and/or bass.

Here's a link that may interest you:
    What's in your gig bag?

You may want to check out my >500 links below. There's a whole section on Being in a Band that may help you out.

Good luck.

4. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

Learned this from another TB thread: Go to bandhphotovideo.com and look for their AudioTechnica XLR cables. The economy line work fine (they're only available in 25' and 50' lengths), and are dirt cheap. Their pro line is about 2X ~ 3X the price per given length, and having sliced and diced both types (to make TRS cables, and shorter XLRs), the pro cable and ends really *are* better made, but the economy stuff works fine. Either way, tremendous value for their respective quality.

-jb

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4001

Bring a SansAmp DI for backup if your amp fails on you. Have a backup bass and a set of strings, a spare cable and you should be set.

7. Tuned

Tuned

Avoid newer Neutrix female XLR plugs with the D-shaped button, they eventually die from vibrations spreading the sleeves the male pins contact. Definitely don't use them for clip-on drum mics, they'll die at 50 gigs max. The older ones with the grooved rectangular button are fine, and they still make them. Also avoid plugs with screws in them, they're outdated. I like Peavey's mic cables with the black plugs, very solid and affordable, and they look good.

I second the backup DI suggestion, built-in DI's on amps fail a lot.

8. BigDave16

BigDave16

I have a full tech kit. Cables out the wazoo. SVP Pro Preamp and a Carvin power amp backed up by a Hartke HA 3500. Which is all backed by my trusty Korg Pandora direct to house if needed. Wireless backed up with cables. 2 guitar stands. 2 - 4x10's usually only use one. And of course 2 basses. Sometimes an electric guitar, just in case.

But I also drive a Dodge Durango and have the room for it all.

My gig money pays for me to travel to gigs. But not gigging doesn't feel like breaking even.