OK TB RECOMMEND ME SOME AMPS!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Groovy_Gravy, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

OK heres the deal.

I wanna give my old v4b a break. It looks and sounds mint and id like to keep it that way. The cold here is hard on it and Im not able to always store my gear at the house we practice at. For practice it is not worth it to lug this beast around both because of wear and tear and weight. SO what im looking for is a small head.

It needs to be loud enough at bar gigs with a 4pc jam/blues,psychedelic rock band. 90% of the time it'll be paired with an ampeg svt410he which runs at 8ohms. My v4b IS loud enough to be clean at gigs and sometimes i get a little grit.

Im looking USED here.

Something like the PF's seem perfect for me to get a small backup/practice/occasional gig amp. However i have seen all the negative things about the PF500 which sucks because I would feel better with the extra power over the 350. Is the PF350 gig-able with my cab? (i have multiple cabs but want to stick to one)

Also, in reality how much of a risk is it to get a used PF500? Lets be honest here, I know there are many cases of failure but also many many times more units sold... but relatively how safe is it to get one?

The PF 800 is out of my range...

What are some other brands.models of amps that can get me a sort of ampeg vibe? It doesnt have to be close but just in the ballpark. Im open to any suggestions in the $250-$300 range. thanks.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The giggle factor is high with mb200. I never even seen a v4b but if yours is nearly always clean the 200w should be loud enough and money over for vt pedal. Done.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The PF500 has been revised a few times and is now solid.
  4. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Well its out of my range at the moment. I'll keep that in mind if I am ever able to buy new. I'm looking to trade or sell some gear to fund this
  5. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

True but the ampeg is old usa iron....its known for being a loud 100w
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Honestly, I'd just keep using the V4B. Let it get to room temp before you play it. And if you play outside, let it warm up for 10 minutes before you start playing it. It's lasted this long, it'll last a while longer ;)
  7. Tele295

Tele295

PF-350 is totally giggable with your cabinet. I prefer the preamp of the 350 to the 500- more vintage Ampeg sound to my ears. Plus at $250-300, you can probably buy a new 350 with a warranty, if that gives you a little extra peace of mind
  8. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Thanks for the Info...

Are there any other amps that will get me what i need that arent ampeg? Im trying to weigh all my options. Again id like the ampeg vibe but it doesnt have to be copied exactly...
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Vt pedal, any amp.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Aguilar Tone Hammer 350.
    Fits your bill.
    -super light
    -loud (350watts at 4 ohms and you're getting real 350W)
    -sells at $500 new, so a used one might just fit into your budget

No tubes in this one, but the sound can compete with most hybrid amps even slightly above that price range - you get a warm sound and if you like, some grit (or outright distortion if you're into that).
    I love it for blues and rock.
  11. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

Like downunderwonder said.

GK MB200
    -200 watts @4ohms
    -2 lbs.
    Simple and clean.
    $300 new or $200 used. I've seen one go for $150 shipped in the classifieds. I say try one if you can.

I love mine. I just played this weekend with a loud drummer and a 50 watt guitarist in a garage. I had my GK MB200 paired with an Avatar sb112 using 50% of the amps power. Pretty loud amp.
  12. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

200w at 4 ohms does me no good when itll be pushing an 8ohm cab..
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It does a lot more than half into 8ohm. It doesn't have the snot of my d180 tube amp 180w but it's not far off. For your purposes I bet it would be fine. The best part of your loudness comes from the first 100w clean.
  14. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Ehh its just too low for my comfort. I'm looking for something with about double that wattage
  15. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

What about a carvin bx250?
  16. jrdworak

jrdworak

I've got a 350 and I've used it in a small hall, certainly bigger than any bar. I used it through a 4x10 at 8 ohms and it was plenty loud. The sound is almost as good as my Ampeg B-2R and has me thinking of selling that one. It's way lighter and I don't play out as often so it's hard to justify having both. With the gain pushed up it does give a nice growly slightly overdriven classic Ampeg sound.
    I also play it through a small 1x10 I built from a subwoofer box and a Peavey bass speaker. I use that for jamming at friend's houses and practice, it's small and sounds good. It's 8 ohms and I keep up with a drummer and at least 1 guitar, sometimes 2.
    In short, I think the 350 would be perfect for what you want.
  17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Double clean wattage gives only 3db extra clean headroom. This was my point of comparing your 100 or so clean watts that you have presently. It's no practice amp.
  18. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

3db is perceived as twice as loud. No?
  19. Timmah

Timmah

I'll suggest a GK 800RB. They go for around $200-$250 used around here. For 100w @ 8ohms, they're inexplicably loud- I run mine through a SVT210AV for bars and small gigs, and it has kept up with an SF Pro Reverb in a fairly large hall and at an outdoor party. It's loud, it's sufficiently "ampeggy" through a sealed cab, and it's unbelievably, monstrously, adjective-defyingly FAT. Because it's solid state, temperature is a non-issue. And at that price, you won't be too concerned about bumps and dings.
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Hell no, twice as loud is 10dB. That is by definition. 3db is a minimally significant bump up. The minimum the average detectable difference is 1dB.

Bell Laboratories set standards after much testing of volunteers. 1dB might have been something like "a/b/a/b for as many trials as test subject needed to decide if there was a difference", kind of of a deal. 3db more like 90% identify a volume change in one trial. Just pulling numbers out of thin air.

Power and perceived volume are connected by a logarithmic relationship. Each successive doubling of power nets you another 3 dB, subject to the speaker handling it, do the maths and 10x power nets 10dB. Nifty eh!

IMO 6dB is a nice bump up. If you took two identical rigs, that is 6dB over 1 rig. 6dB totally clean headroom. 3db from the power and 3db from the sensitivity of an extra cab.

You don't get that 6db by quadrupling the power into one cab unless starting from 50 or so watts, but you can get 3db by doubling cabs with a tube amp. Confused yet?