1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ok to dismantle, then store???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BornboreD, Jul 8, 2013.

1. BornboreD

BornboreD

I've got this beat old MIM Jazz I bought years ago for $100 that I planned on using as a mod platform. Ended up sitting in a closet since. I've decided to just part it out, or at least only keep the body and neck, and completely replace/upgrade the rest.

Is it ok to just gut it, and tear it completely down then just store the neck and body to use in future projects as I see fit??
  2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Best to see what techs and luthiers would say (I'm just a player who does his own setups), but I'm thinking you'll want to loosen the truss rod since there won't be any string tension. Otherwise, the neck's gonna be stored with a back bow.
  3. BornboreD

BornboreD

Yeah, I guess it's the neck is what I'm really concerned about. They won't be stored forever. I imagine I'll either use em or sell em within two months.
  4. BornboreD

BornboreD

Am I to assume that it's ok??? I'd really like to spend this aft dismantling and cleaning the bass in question....
  5. noiseguy

noiseguy

Frankly, since you haven't decided what to do with it yet, why not just keep it assembled?

You can remove the electronics, re-install the strings, and have an empty shell that can wait until you decide what you want to do with the other parts.
  6. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

i'd keep the neck on it with strings at tension
  7. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Go ahead, loosen the rod off, lay it flat, keep it dry at room temperature. It will be fine. How do you guys think Warmoth stores necks? Strung at tension? Blah. A ten year old neck isn't doing anything unless you keep it in the shower.