Okay, so how do we get what we paid for? (SGD Lutherie again).

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fRiGhTnIghT1971, Dec 23, 2013.

1. fRiGhTnIghT1971

fRiGhTnIghT1971

Okay, so what if our order wasn't a custom order and it's still been a year? I placed my order for two standard issue "jazz bucker" pickups almost a year ago and people who placed their orders well after mine have gotten their stuff already. David won't answer any emails and the people on the infamous list are still waiting. Anybody else want to weigh in on this before this thread (as it were) gets shut down? Lawyers, cops, anybody?
  2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    There is a thread stickied at the top of this forum specifically for people in your position.

Sad to say, things don't look terribly optimistic.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I've had wonderful service from David in the past, just recently received another order.

How many threads do we really need for this?
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You are very much the minority
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. suddenlysane

suddenlysane Gold Supporting Member

I'm up for reading every one of them until he fulfills the orders people have placed and not received. It's not just that the orders have not been fulfilled, mmbongo, it's the fact the he LIES constantly about the status of people's orders. Yes, I said it, he LIES over and over again and those LIES have been posted here on TB by multiple people. As a community of bass players I would hope that we would stand behind the people being lied to and not the people telling the lies.

It doesn't take a genius to see that he also seems to cherry pick which orders he now fulfills based on how much anger/outrage they express and whether or not it is expressed openly on TB. YOU are probably safe and can count on your orders being fulfilled quickly but not everyone is going to, or should be required to, cut him any slack(in order to get the "special" treatment).

Everything I have stated is my OPINION and based only on what I have read here and not from any firsthand experience with SGD. But from what I've read I find it very difficult to believe that David is representing himself, his company, or this community in a manner that most of us find acceptable. And yes, I am free to formulate my own opinions, thoughts, and judgements according to info I find on teh internets about people/companies I may consider doing business with.

I hope the Mods accept my post and any others for what they are and not lock/delete them. And what are they? They are bassists speaking out for other bassists and letting them know that WE STAND BEHIND YOU! We have been reading! We know the score!
  7. mmbongo

Therein lies the problem with these threads.

"I have no direct knowledge or experience with any of the subjects being discussed here, but I want to dictate what the situation is."

Wonder how long this one will make it until deletion?
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Hopefully soon
    Comments like yours have no foundation between evening the score and determining right from wrong.

There clearly is a problem with this vendor and I wanted to order his version of a WAL pup.
    If this was a big manufacturer or someone like Dr. Bass that had documented bad business practices, they would be banned.

I believe that SGD makes some great pre-amps and pups.
    Back in the day, he posted some really good tech info.
    His business history on this board is terrible and posted by those who are known to be fair and honest people.

* For those of you that received your parts; congratulations.
    * For those that cannot end the experience in a happy and fair manner, I'm sorry for your loss.
    * For those of you that support him and drag the "you've never been there so you can't comment line" into the equation, I say you should be ashamed of confusing fanboy with fair trade. And yes I have had close friends on this board that have been lied to.
    * For those of you that intend to place and order, I say you have been warned that there is a distinct possibility of a very delayed shipment.

From the other side, I have read that he is catching up and shipping in sequence of order. Others say this is not true.

I have run a small manufacturing business and know how hard it is to make payroll, equipment and material monthly payments, bank loans, pay refunds, etc.
    Bottom line is you either have good performance, bad excuses, or willingness to make things right in a reasonable time frame.
    Everything else is BS.
  9. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Merry Christmas! Enjoy your "no single thread can contain my white-hot hate" Christmas Eve.
  10. suddenlysane

There is no "hate" involved. But where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Am I to believe that because I don't have firsthand experience with getting screwed that some screwing of others is not taking place? LOOK AT THE POSTED LISTS. I understand that you want only those that have orders outstanding to be able to speak. However, I have no intention of sitting down and shutting up so that YOU can "dictate what the situation is".

Obviously, you believe I'm incapable of drawing a reasonable conclusion from the PAGES and PAGES and PAGES of complaints about SGD and the lack of contractual performance. I can assure you that I am quite capable, without you holding my hand or directing me, of concluding that something is VERY wrong.

And don't quote me with something I never said. The only problem with these threads is that people like you don't want to allow people like me to express concern. I am concerned that people are being lied to. Oh, my bad, he inadvertently made a false representation...........yeah, a few of them.......
  11. mmbongo

David has clearly stated, without confusion, very clearly, many times, that the Wal pickups are under development and will be ready when they are ready.
  12. mmbongo

So you have no current order with SGD, have never ordered from SGD, and have no SGD pickups? So that makes you an expert on running SGD's business...how exactly?
  13. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Well, I have had firsthand experience. After paying for a standard model pickup (no custom work involved), and being quoted a 3-week turnaround, I got nothing -- not even responses to emails or PM's.

I waited until the last day possible (45 days, well past the 3-week quote) to file a grievance with PayPal, and only then did I hear back from David. He sent me an angry email, complaining about my filing a grievance. But still no pickup.

Then David sent me a bogus "shipping label" email, but didn't actually ship anything. I investigated with USPS, and so did PayPal. Nothing had ever been shipped. When PayPal realized the shipping label was bogus, they immediately ruled in my favor and issued me a refund.

That's my experience. Do I have "white-hot hate" for SGD or David? No, not at all. I sincerely hope he gets his act together, figures out hot to run his business in an equitable and profitable way, and I hope he makes lots of pickups for people. I want him to succeed. But I also don't want to see other people in this community get hurt. It's important for people to be able to tell their stories.
  14. suddenlysane

You just make stuff up, don't you? I haven't claimed to know anything about how he runs his business, nor have I offered suggestions about how he should. Here's my bottom line if you must know:

It appears that HE LIES. HE LIES CONTINUALLY. I don't like liars and I don't care whether you despise me for saying so. The only thing I like less than a liar is someone who defends them.

As far as being an "expert" on business practices I find desirable, yeah, I'd say I'm qualified to take what I see and formulate an opinion for myself.
  15. Substandard

Substandard Supporting Member

wow.
    I read your exchange with David.
    While we're sharing opinions, I wouldn't make a pickup for you if you talked to me that way.

There's already a thread about this that's stickied on the top of this forum. Quit being purposefully inflammatory.

Merry Christmas! Hope everyone's having a good break. :)
  16. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Indeed, and while I am glad he received his order, my order is much older, and there are others with orders much older than mine...

The prioritization of our orders that David uses to decide what he works on is baffling (to me anyways)...

Tis the season to be Merry, so I sure hope everyone gets what they paid for.

Happy Holidays everyone!
  17. suddenlysane

Are you speaking of the OP's exchange? The one where David told him SIX MONTHS after the initial order that he would be getting to his "this week"? And then the next reply was FOUR MONTHS later?

This may have escaped you but....he talked to him "that way" AFTER being LIED to and waiting for TEN MONTHS.

Why the victim hate?
  18. Substandard

Substandard Supporting Member

I am quite empathetic to everyone on the list. I have one of the oldest listed.

What I don't like is disrespect and unnecessarily antagonistic behavior.

But I guess that's just me.

I'm going to go play some bass. :bassist:
  19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Your positive experience does not negate the negative experiences of others. You need to learn the difference between frustration because of an extremely negative experience and hate. You also need to learn the difference between criticism and flaming.
  20. mmbongo

It appears that my dog is talking when I feed him peanut butter, too.
  21. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    This isn't the thread that John started, i hope its ok to post here, but i do feel like i should say something after reading all of these threads for days and days now.

People that have gotten their pickups should stop getting upset with the people who are still waiting. The people that HAVE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS are looking for a solution. By some getting involved WITH OTHER'S PEOPLE ISSUES does not help. Nor does it help by me saying this. It needed to be pointed out though. Those of you that got your pickups, order more if you like, but stop antagonizing those that are looking for assistance.

Coming from an outsider's standpoint, These posts aren't helping those customers that are looking for some help in getting what they ordered or their money back.

If you got yours, let the others vent. If this post needs to be deleted, mods please do so. Just making a point that needed to be made.