Okay....so? SX/SX Ursa basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Donavan321, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Donavan321

Donavan321

I've been seeing these basses on eBay between 150-200$ and they have the block inlays and maple necks, so are SX basses good quality? I've almost bought one in the past and I saw one at a pawn store but didnt play it, they look really really nicely built. Pictures of your SX?
  2. electracoyote

electracoyote

At this price point, one of your better options.

The eBay listings may be by the company who distributes them, Rondo Music. They have a website where you can see the entire current line and buy direct.

I, and many of my students, have acquired SX basses. Great service after the sale too. Owner/operator Kurt is really easy to work with if anything is not right.
  3. Donavan321

Donavan321

Okay, cool! Yeah, it seems like it would be a solid purchase for the price and that you can't go wrong. I'll check out Rondo's site! Thanks.
  4. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/sx-bass-what-your-thoughts-949402/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/buying-sx-bass-need-opinions-994001/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/sx-essex-quality-can-i-need-advice-497985/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/essex-bass-club-part-15-a-993808/index41.html

Feel free to use the search function as dozens and dozens of threads that answer your questions have already been made.
  5. Donavan321

Donavan321

Thanks! Heading over there now.
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Hint: the talkbass search function ignores two-letter words, so threads about SXs use the word "essex" to pick up on searches.
  7. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

I have had a couple SX basses. They are ok for the money. My complaints are: pickups are just OK, strings crappy, tuners not the best but ok. I found the neck would not as stable and required tuning a little more often. Squier Classic Vibes are much better but 2X the price ($349). I had a P/J with setup, string, tuners, and pickup change it was decent but then I had more into it than a Classic Vibe cost or Fender MIM (used).
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The biggest problem I ever had with an SX bass is that the fretwork was lousy. Once I fixed it, the two I had were much better, but I sold them and I'd still rather have a Fender...the body feels odd compared to a Fender, and the necks were too flat for my tastes as well. Soundwise and mechanically, I had no problem with it, except the polepieces on the pickups are way high and cause a lot of clanking if you dig in and play a little hard.
  9. gary m

gary m

I own two and like them. Good utility instruments, if you don't mind smoothing out some rough edges here and there setup-wise.
  10. johnson79

johnson79

Mine is pretty nice. It could use a pro setup, but I've got it in good playing shape with some upgrades that were more cosmetic than anything. Other than the goofy headstock I'd buy another. Although, the new higher end jazz has a nice shape.
  11. electracoyote

electracoyote

Exactly. At this price point, you're getting a production line bass with possibly a few rough edges, but it's generally nothing a tech can't help you with in short order.

Fenders in this price range exhibit the same characteristics.
  12. Donavan321

Donavan321

Those are all helpful pointers, I'm sure some basses will be better than others, if I were to order two of the same bass, I bet they would have differences in setup, and intonation. I'm probably swinging a ric or a geddy lee jazz, so I guess ill be getting in the top of the line range!
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I've owned two and liked them both, no problems. From the various reports, there are definitely some out there with quality control issues. But as some would point out, you can get four or five SXs for the price of a single MIM Fender and at least one of them will be its match if not its superior, especially with new strings, a setup, and maybe a little fret dressing.
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

So if you have the scratch for a Ric or Geddy, why the interest in the SX?

Huge gulf between those.
  15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

This is why I'll likely never get an SX. At one point I was about to buy one, but right before I did I realized I prefer a curvier fretboard radius (9.5" or less). From what I've seen, all SX necks have an incredibly flat 14" radius. This may appeal to some player, others may not care one way or the other, but for me it's a deal-breaker.

Sometimes, but I've seen plenty of CV Jazzes on Guitar Center's used database going for $250 (+$25 for shipping, if it's not local). Unless the OP wants their SX to be a platform for tinkering and modding, I'd suggest they save up a few more bucks for a CV. The one I have is a bass of serious quality, and I won't even use the suffix "…for the money I spent" since that would be a disservice to it. It just plain rocks!
  16. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Alternatively type this into google:
    site:talkbass.com SX basses
    Google doesn't ignore words.
  17. dabbler

dabbler

Maybe you meant "used Fenders", or maybe you meant "Squiers", but I'm not aware of any Fenders in the SX price range. :confused:

Ditto what most have said and just to echo a few points:

1. It will need a setup, maybe (but not always) a fret level.
    2. Don't judge the tone until you change the strings.
    3. The necks are chunky and have a flatter than Fender fretboard.
    4. You would be hard pressed to buy a body and neck of similar quality for the price of the bass, IMO.
  18. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yes, I meant Squiers. Which I consider a Fender product. Thanks for the clarification.
  19. Donavan321

Donavan321

Well, I'm getting one or the other...ultimately I will have both. I asked about SX just because I've owned squiers, mim fender jazz, as well as squier vm basses.
  20. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

I consider SX (or Essex) basses to be good modding platforms, and nothing more. I've got a fretless P/J that started its life as an SX, and it's a great player. But then, I've got about $500 into it.

If you like to tinker, I'd say go for it. If not, and you're looking for a finished instrument out of the box, look elsewhere, IMO.