Okay, that was the last straw..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by avvie, Dec 17, 2013.

1. avvie

avvie

After 5 years I finally quit my main band.

I had a bad week with car repairs and other crap that ate up all my free time, so when it was time to play an hour set for Toys For Tots with the "new, improved" band, I got worried... I crammed like hell on new material only an hour before driving to the show. The others had been getting together and practicing the material for a few weeks, working out guitar parts, etc. so I was concerned that I was going to be the Weakest Link.

Unfortunately I was the best player on that stage. And the only one who knew the arrangements. I hate that.

It occurred to me later that the BL and singer just don't have music in them. Yes, they love it, want to play it and they practice hard and often but it's still all greek...just can't grasp Music and Music Performance 101. It's like in the carpentry world: some people just don't have the aptitude no matter how much training you give them. Maybe they can read a tape or cut a board but they just can't grasp how parts go together or why.

It was especially frustrating because our new guitarist is a professional who tours with national acts. He's been teaching the BL how to approach this material. And then he didn't know it at the gig. So my suspicions were correct: supposedly a touring profession with national acts (I did actually see him on YT), has no car, has no job, gets paid weekly scale when actually touring, and he wants to play with THIS band? :eyebrow:

Oh, wait...turns out he's the guitar tech.

Time to move on... I will NOT be embarrassed like that again.

Thanks for the forum to vent.
  2. ebick

ebick

ok, I'll bite....what is the BL?
  3. erigod23

erigod23

Yeah, but you live in Hawaii. No matter what happens, you'll always have that in your favour. :p
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote

Zeenuff iz zeenuff. We all have our breaking point, and this one sounds perfectly legit to me.

I fire bands like this all the time. My only regret is that it took me a long time to figure out this is an option sometimes better exercised sooner than later. I used to hang in there and try to rehabilitate everyone. And trust me, sometimes that only makes things worse.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Cmon, you dont know??? Its Banjo Licker.
  7. avvie

avvie

A Banjo Licker would be preferable sometimes to the Band Leader ;)
  8. ebick

ebick

I was thinking it was balalaika's liaison, but then I thought, no....
  9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

You played with them for 5 YEARS and just came to this conclusion? How did that happen?
  10. avvie

avvie

I figured that question would come up.
    Part of it is the demographi s of this area...you take what you can get. Part of it is that so many changes happened along the way that each one holds the hope of improvement...and sometimes there was...the last big change got us two nights per month for the past year in one venue. Now another big change happened and this first outing showed me that there is still going to be lots of struggling. I'm just done with struggling.
  11. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Dude, I know the sucky band frustrations, but...

man.

If I lived in Hawaii I wouldn't waste time playing in bands. I would just spend my free time chilling out.
  12. avvie

avvie

Chilling out is great for the first year...but then you have to go to work. It's expensive, and sometimes you even have to play in sucky bands for pocket money.
  13. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

14. StayLow

StayLow

Yeah, that describes most working pros quite well unless they have a gf/wife with a good day job or they teach music or wait tables between tours. Probably has a roomie or three, or is couch surfing between tours.

Whatever paying gigs they can get while home, they take.

Wish you luck in finding a new band.