old Altec compressor modded to EMI RS124

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by corinpills, Feb 25, 2014.

1. corinpills

corinpills

When I recorded in studio 2 at Abbey Road a few years ago, one of the most amazing things in a day full of amazing thing was playing bass through their RS124 compressors. These compressors have been detailed thoroughly in Brain Kahew's excellent "Recording The Beatles" book. I can tell you first hand, it's a magical sounding compressor if you like McCartney's bass sound. You can hear me playing through the Abbey Road one here: www.corinashley.com (the video at the bottom).

A few years back, I found a busted up old Altec 436B in an electronics repair shop and bought it. It sat under my bed for at least 5 years until I found someone who could do an approximation of the Abbey Road mod. Only a few people really know for certain what the engineers at EMI did to these back in the day, but an LA based engineer named Bryce Gonsalez seems to have gotten pretty close.

Here's my first attempt at just running my Hofner through it. Normally, I'd be combining this with a mic'd up tube amp and recording to tape, but I'm pretty happy with this as a start.

Attached Files:

2. corinpills

corinpills

P.S. Here's a good article on the RS124. There are a lot of fake schematics available online, but they have been refuted by people who have actually looked under the hood.

http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=3761

3. corinpills

corinpills

Well, looks like I picked the wrong forum to post about recording bass.

4. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I like the tone quite a bit, but what is the high end buzzing? It's hard for me to ignore even though it will probably get lost in any mix unless there is a bass only part of the recording.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. corinpills

corinpills

That's just hitting the pre too hard, really. It's just growling a bit, first time I plugged it in and I had the input a little too hot.

7. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Now that is good stuff

8. corinpills

corinpills

Thanks, that was a pretty special experience for a Beatles nerd like myself.