1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Old band reforming..need help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully, Dec 13, 2013.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn! Supporting Member

Well kind of here is the scoop.

As some of you know a few months back I bowed out of music and bass playing to turn back to my other passion. Bass fishing. My handle or user name here was always two sided :p

I told you all I was selling off my gear and I was done. Thanks to those who advised me to keep at least one bass and an amp. I sold 8 basses and one Markbass rig but still have a good bass and amp.

Anyhow I was angry and kind of fed-up with the whole music thing until my old band that is on hold called and said they are willing to do a major lineup change.

The band I was in has the BL on lead guitar and lead vocal. He is in his early 60's and has a great voice but its more old school sounding like Elvis or Conway Twitty,. He does oldies and country covers very well.

The drummer is very good with good lead and backing vocals (high Harmonies). He can sing really anything from country to classic rock.

Our other guitar player is also solid and has a good midrange voice that works on CCR song etc.

Me? I just look dumb and play bass, my vocals don't hold a candle to these guys so I keep my mouth shut :D

So the drummer has the BL turning a new page. We will stay and play with him as long as we promote the band (had a manager) drop the old name of 20+ years, and go to a classic rock, blues, covers..whatever.

The BL is finally seeing that the old music was not marketable anymore except for the animals club circuit which is drying up in our parts. We played to the same rooms and same OLD people each time and it got really.... old :rolleyes:

We are looking to revamp the band to classic rock ,blues that kind of thing.

When I found this out it was refreshing and now I'm interested to meet with them after the holidays and maybe kick this off.
    It has kind of got a new fire built under me. I like these guys allot, good hang, good players, great vocals but what should we play? We need to have songs that can get us out of the VFW's and into local bars and clubs.

This is where I need your help. With the current lineup we have and remember it was an old country, oldies, covers and originals band.

What songs do you think we should try or cover with the type of band we were and are hoping to be. Most 80's music will not fly IMO.

We did these covers well...
    CCR- Green river old man down the road etc.

Romantics-Romantics
    Gloria
    Keep your hands to yourself
    Kansas city
    Blue suede shoes-rocked up
    Sweet home Chicago
    Pride and joy
    Hold on-Beatles

So this is just a few since we did allot of old country and some new. I think we need to stick to the blues and classic rock but need ideas and advice for all you in the know here.

Thanks..BB
  2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't have much to add but would like to say, Welcome back!

I'm sure some bass (fish) are sleeping easier as well ;)
  3. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

We're the same type of band. Here is our current repertoire:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that many songs at our disposal we "slant" our Set List to the demographic of the venue we're playing. We also have found that is works to start out with "older" material because the older people will be there at the start and then leave early. We then progress up to "newer" tunes as the crowd "gets younger". Hope you can find some ideas on there! (They're jpg's so feel free to save them and print them out to take to band rehearsal!)
  4. bassbully

Thanks...I tore the lips off a bunch from late summer thru late fall..yes I did :smug:
  5. bassbully

Very cool! Thanks this is perfect!
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I would say Johnny Cash, because he stayed relevant at the end of his career so you can do all of those old tunes and younger people will like them. Just make sure to explicitly say it's a Johnny Cash tune so they know it's "good". Also Hank Sr., just because his tunes are so good they always work. Then use Flashback Bass's excellent set list for the rest, but I would add a bunch of Little Feat to that, again because they're so good and because I bet you guys will play it well.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Play new country, new covers & newer blues artists.
    The old stuff always comes in handy when needed.
    My friends band plays everything from Elvis to Adele, James Brown to Beyonce.
    He fine tunes it as needed for the gig.
  8. nojj

nojj Guest

gotta mix it up like the others said, or you'll be pigeonholed again.

In the one (and only) band where I get input and call some shots,
    we keep a master list handy, just so we don't rely on 'the usual'.

Welcome back to the Low Side..........
  9. eriky4003

eriky4003

Bassbully,
    Welcome back. I saw your original retirement note but then thought I'd noticed your presence in other threads more recently. You can be the Brett Favre of TB.
    Other tracks that do well for us and we have a similar make-up of band:
    Free Ride - Edgar Winter
    Black Betty - Ram Jam
    Twice as Hard - Black Crowes
    Shout it Out Loud - Kiss
    Good luck with the 'new' band.
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. Yeah, I thought you were going fishing.

Are you really sure you even want to be in a band again?

What changed your mind?
  11. jam -1

jam -1

I would play Steve Miller -Bad Companey-Foghat-Aero Smith-I would mix it up some with newer bands like Tonic- Stp-Alice in Chains-the Hollies long cool women is a good song -John Mellencamp-Brooks and Dunn ect I would really mix it up It makes everyone happy

just my two cents
    Jeff
  12. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

One of the problems we have in my band is although all four guys in the band sing, we're all baritones! Makes it tough to do Bad Company, Bob Segar, Aerosmith and the like.

And of course that means that nobody's ever getting close to Zepplin or most Hair Metal, (for the Cougars!).

We've discussed trying to get Lead Singer but no one wants to go from a four way split to a five way split on the money! Now if the Lead Singer could get us into some better paying venues.....
  13. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

All those vocals, blues, rock and country, and no Eagles? Cryin' shame, but your set list does look pretty awesome nonetheless.

Still. The Eagles.
  14. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Gold Supporting Member

I don't think I've heard you guys play Free Ride. I'll have to request it next time I see you. Great bass line!
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Awesome man, I dug your story. Good luck with it.

Nice repertoire!
  16. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Gold Supporting Member

Welcome back into the saddle! We can't help it, we're musicians for life.
  17. bassbully

Hey all thanks for the kind words and help here. Like I said I'm not 100% sure if this will work out at all. When I made my retirement post as it was called I was pissed,tired and burnt out on music. I still am in some ways truthfully.

But I play my guitar almost nightly. I have had a little urge to just keep doing that until my old bands guitar player and I spoke this week. He told me of the changes to the old band and wondered if I would reconsider enough to at least give it a shot.
    I thought..humm maybe. The thought of a classic rock blues band with a little twang thrown in did interest me.

Our guitar player and I agreed to work out some song ideas...no country , no oldies stick to classic rock and blues. I like some of the ideas here and will write them down and share them when we meet in a few weeks.

The drummer has connections to places to play as long as we stick to the format..real places no more old folks home type gigs. I think its worth a try and if it starts going south the lakes will be open in mid March time to fire up the outboard :p
  18. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

No tenors = No high harmonies = No Eagles!
  19. bassbully

We only did Tequila sunrise but we could add Eagles..good choice.
  20. Yashkoo

Yashkoo

I just joined up with a new group that sticks pretty much to 60's and 70's pieces with a definite groove, with an few tossed in for listening only (festival impress stuff). Our keyboard player and myself have jazz and swing backgrounds, so there is a real flavor of fusion. I am always amazed at the positive response we get from all ages. I really thought we would be the local geriatric hit (I'm no spring chicken myself), but I am always amazed. We do latch on to a few newer songs if they strike our fancy. Pieces like "Bad Looks Good On You". Solid swung groove with cute lyrics. The keyboard opens up a lot of options. We have kicked off Locomotive breath and heard "no way" from the crowd. Leave your hat on, superstition, etc. really blow folks away when the hear the brass and woodwind parts flow out. On pieces like Moon dance, I'll switch over to the ns double and that is a crowd pleaser as well. We concentrate on a solid groove and don't worry too much about being fancy. We're an entertainment band and most folks just aren't musicians.