Old combo head as preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Cougmeister, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Would this work? I've got an old peavey practice amp that I'm thinking about pulling apart so I can use the head as a preamp. Its a Peavey 110 Max combo amp.[​IMG]
  2. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    as long as you aren't using the speaker output of it into whatever is next in the chain, sure. but you MAY find that what sounds good at low volume won't translate so well at higher power levels.
  3. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

So would I have to use the Headphone jack on it for whatever is next in line?
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Can you bypass the pre? Is there an effects loop or anything? If so, the answer is yes.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

No loops or anything. What you see in the pics is all it has as far as jacks go.
  7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    if it has a line out, (peavey liked to label them "preamp out", making it easy) that would be best. i'd even stay away from using the headphone output, actually. you dont want to risk frying the input circuitry of anything behind it. somebody smarter may say it's ok, but i'm not going on record suggesting it ;)
  8. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

The only output besides the headphone out is the actual output to the speaker.
  9. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    hmmm. i'm not sure there's a way to do it without buying a line reducer. Parts express and other places like that often sell a transformer that converts a speaker level output to line level. this is an option. i've expired my knowledge on this. maybe somebody else has a better way, or at least knows for sure if the headphone output is an acceptable option. good luck.
  10. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Mmk, Good to know. Just trying to figure out if it would be worth trying or not. I dont want to fry anything, thats for sure.
  11. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
  12. bumperbass

bumperbass

Hmmmm....according to the manual, the headphone output is .075 watts into 8 ohms (75mW). That equates to about .83 volts into 8 ohms. I'm sure you could run that into a power amp. You won't burn the power amp up by trying it. It might be a perfect match. Sorry, can't think anymore. My pillow is calling. Good luck!
  13. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Thanks for looking into it. I may have to give it a go then. I'll most likely be running it to another combo amp. I would use the eq on it, but the way its set up I can't get a strong direct out signal unless I run it as pre-eq. I figured this might give me a tad more tonal control without having to buy anything. I would probably make it so I could hook it up to the old cab for practice purposes.
  14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Here's another thought... I have the predecessor to this one, the Minx. Just for fun I took the head out of the combo, and took the speaker wires and connected a female jack output. I then hooked the jack to a regular speaker cable to a 410 cabinet. Very surprised at the volume and bass from that little guy. And of course if you don't like it the head can go back into the box the same way it came out.

Instead of ruining a perfectly good Peqvey why not look around for a used Peavey bass head. You'll find they're very cheap and last forever. And you can still have your Peavey Max 110 for private practice.:bassist:
  15. mc_muench

mc_muench

I have been doing this for my bedroom rig for a couple years now... a 15 watt prac amp ripped out of a combo, and twist the output wires to a cut up speaker cord. Plug into any cab, it sounds fine. Good enough for practice.
  16. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

I don't have any extra money to spend at all. Got a baby on the way and my hobby spending has basically been cut off.