1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Old computer help, please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ShredderMaximus, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

So I was recently given an old computer, an old Pentium 3 Dell that had been running Windows 2000. It was given to me due to a believed dead HDD, so I figured that I could just mess around with it and get it up and running fairly easy with a new HDD, but I am not sure which HDD to get that would still be compatible with an old machine like this. I've heard that Windows 2000 can only use a max of 126 gigs (or something like that) or so, is there anything else to be aware of when getting a replacement HDD?

I was also wondering, all the original boot disks and such that came with it are long gone by now, but it still has the Windows product key, is there anyway to go about possibly not having to pay for a new copy of windows 2000? If not, this thing is so old I'll probably go the "not so legitimate" route to getting an O.S. on there, its just sorta a little project right now.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks everyone!
  2. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

Win2k has a 128GB limit on logical partitions due to the FAT32 file structure it uses when formatting hard drives.

Personally I would ninja a copy of Windows XP and format the boot disk in NTFS - go as large as you want and it's more secure. Even a P3 system will have the horsepower to run XP, it's a much better operating system, you *might* have to upgrade a bit of memory but that's cheap as well.

Peace,
    Greg
  3. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Thats a dang good idea, I might just give it a whirl! Thanks man!
  4. hbarcat

hbarcat Gold Supporting Member

Jeez. I've literally got 7 computers that are just like the ones you're describing. I have no use for them and I can't give them away.

If you can't find a use for it, as is, don't spend 2 minutes worrying about how you can modify it for whatever reason. Call the computer recycle place near you and let them find a use for the parts. If you actually do want a computer that has a Pentium III class processor running Win 2000 then just ask around. You can surely get one for free, anywhere.

IMO
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

P3 is very, very old. As in, not worth fixing old.
    If you HAVE to use it, since there is no way you can use recent games on it, the only right thing to do is a light Linux install. Try Lubuntu or Puppy Linux.
    It shall allow you to surf decently and do basic office stuff.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I would advise against the software piracy route. The Linux suggestion is a good one.

-Mike
  7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Could be a cool retro gaming box. That would be the only use I can think for it.
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Massive paper weight? Target practice? Foot stool? Arm rest?

lowsound
  9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

I am very disappointed. I was hoping that the OP was going to ask me how to fit a 16K Ram-Pack to a Commodore Vic 20.
  10. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Go Linux....it's free and faster than windows.
  11. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

So... anyone know how to fix the PSU in a BBC Micro? I have a boxed copy of 'Elite' just itching to be played...
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Just so you know, Elite requires the 32kB memory extension. It isn't cheap.
  13. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Thanks for all the input everyone!
  14. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Got that! It was my Grandad's research computer when he worked at the BBC...
  15. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Up your geek score. Linux.
  16. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

+1 to a Linux distro.
  17. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Why not just repurpose it instead?