1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Old dog, new tricks.... Want to go fretless

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pbass2go, Feb 27, 2014.

1. pbass2go

pbass2go Supporting Member

I am 46 and have been playing since I was 14. I recently picked up an SX fretless P and really want to do better than noodling around on it.

Aside from getting an actual teacher (work schedule rotates, makes it hard for scheduling) can anyone suggest a practice regiment?

My main bass is a Pbass also so this bass feels "normal" to me but it's obvious when I play it that I am used to frets and need to work on my intonation.

I appreciate any input and apologize if I missed a thread on this already. I didn't see anything on a quick browse

Rick
    :bassist::bassist::help::bassist:

2. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

I'd say go back to the basics. Slowly work on your scales and arpeggios. If you have the capability to record, I'd do what my teacher did for me: record the entire cycle of fourths twice in major, minor, augmented, and diminished with a basic rhythm track. The first to a slow tempo, the second to a faster tempo. Play along to this and let your ears guide your hands. That's my quick and dirty suggestion.

3. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Just do what you normally do. Keep it straight & simple to begin with. After a week or two your ears will gradually pull your fingers into line.

4. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

At first I thought playing fretless would be a big jump, but it wasn't. Once you get over the slight difference in where you place your fingers (let your ears overtake your muscle memory on a fretted neck), you'll be just fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Just get a teacher and they will roll with ur schedule. -d
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com
    www.soundscloud.com/davidhiltonmusic
    www.reverbnation.com/davidhiltontrio

7. freatles

freatles

I've been playing fretless for about 6 months now

to me it doesn't seem that special

I have two with fret markings so that makes it easier, and just got one without fret marks, which is slightly more challenge

other than that, it seems to me to be very much the same animal with bit more options when it comes to expression, I just work the same-o per practice routine

you do hear if you dont hit the notes, but I also use the tuner to start routine with, just to "calibrate" my touch

my teacher told me to try 'open string-fingered note' sequences (from upright bass regime) and also do scales with rocksmith and I feel that works great