1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Old Dream Theater footage; or, John Myung shreds on a Stingray

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

So I found this video a moment ago, a compilation of footage both about and of the Ytse Jam, Dream Theater's first instrumental. There's rehearsal footage and footage from shows spliced together. For the first segment of the song, John Myung is pretty inaudible, but in the second he's pretty audible, even more so when he takes his solo. He shreds it up!

As a bonus, you get a few good looks at Myung's Stingray, the hallmark of his sound pre-Images and Words and pre-sixers. Still can't identify the pickup he added, but you can definitely see it. Looks like a soapbar of some kind. For those who don't know, he ran the bass stereo a la Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and Billy Sheehan, with the neck pickup going to a clean rig and the bridge to the effected rig.

Pretty cool stuff if you're a Dream Theater fan. At least I thought so.

EDIT: :eek: Hang on a tick...that monster has THREE pickups! Or do my eyes deceive me again?