Old dude needs equipment advise

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bogiebusta, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bogiebusta

bogiebusta

OK, I played bass for 8 years ( late 60s/early 70s ) then quit to raise a family and am now starting again after a 38 year layoff. Man has the equipment changed. In my day no bass speaker was less than 15" and the heads always matched the cab. Now the predominant speaker is the 10". There are too many choices so I want advise on creating a rig with clean clear lows and not so bright. So, where I am at this point is playing an American Pbass through an Ampeg BA 115. I like the tone but it will not keep up with the drums in volume. So, I bought a Hartke LH500 and want it to sound like the Ampeg. What type cabinets would best fit the bill? I don't have the time to try a bunch. We play Southern Rock, Blues, Classic Rock through the 90s.

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

that head was designed to be paired with the Hydrive Line of Cabs from Hartke!!

You not going to get that amp to sound anything like Ampeg without a pedal or a pre-amp in front of it..

[​IMG]

If you like 15's i would get one of these and call it a day!

personally i would pair it with one of these

[​IMG]

but if your tight on cash i would pair it with one of these

[​IMG]

3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, the problem is, if you really want the rig to sound like Ampeg - you really need an Ampeg rig.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    A VT Bass pedal, made by Tech21 will more than nail any Ampeg tone your Hartke isn't doing. IMHO, I would worry more about getting a loud, affordable, and not too heavy set of cabinets.

The Hartke 410 mentioned above is a good choice. There are lots of used possibilities in the Talkbass classified section, too.

There are new 12" and 15" drivers that are supplanting the 410 configuration. These are available in cabinets from Avatar, Greenboy Designs, and others. Of course there is DIY fEARful, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Addendum—Have you considered a pair of top-quality used 210 cabs? By stacking them vertically in a column you get better dispersion than with a conventional 410. A pair of 210's is more portable than a 410, easier to fit into diverse vehicles, and you can just take one when you don't need both. Be sure your cabinets are both 8 ohm, as this head does not handle 2 ohm loads.

Good 212 cabinets tend to be considerably more scarce/expensive than 210's.

7. DogBone

DogBone

First, WELCOME BACK to the bass world.

I've been "back" for about 8 years now after taking a decade or so off to do the family and career thing, there's lots of us "come backers" on Talkbass. :)

For your rig, if you like Ampeg (I do too) why not watch your local craigslist for a few weeks and see if you can't pick up an Ampeg 15" cab -or two? :bassist:

Just make sure if you plan to run two cabs to get 8 ohm cabs, unless your head can do 2 ohms that is.

Then down the line you can get a nice Ampeg head if you want your rig to match, but maybe you will be happy with the Hartke, it's a nice amp after all.

Incidentally my primary rig is an older Ampeg BA210 combo, has a similar tone to your 115 but it's 220 watts and so far can easily keep up with any situation I have thrown at it.

You may look for one of those used or the BA115HP < notice th HP, that means it's 220 watts and not 100 watts.

Good luck. :cool:

8. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    +1

I would avoid something like a 410 + a 115 or even a 210 + 115. While these can work, especially with a two channel head, a pair of matching cabinets generally is considered to be a better choice for performance.

A pair of 8 ohm ampeg PF 115 cabs would be OK (check the mixed reviews on TB). Here is the URL, but the site is often down.

http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-115he/

IMHO, even better, a pair of these Mesa Boogie 115 cabs!
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass1x15-LG.htm

Tough to find the Mesa cabs used, but check CL as suggested above, and of course the TB classified Ads.