OLD DUDES(AND DUDETTES)of 50+ years and new gear.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by grey area, Aug 10, 2013.

1. grey area

grey area

hi kids. i read a comment on another thread that suggested that we as bassists of greater years were old sticks in the mud. i took exception as i believe we have generaly embraced the new small lightweight gear that is on sale these days. of coarse when the years go past the new stuff get very attractive for the back. do you think the new stuff delivers the performance of the gear we started off using in the 60s and 70s? or are we making tone compromises for the sake of weight/ size.bottom line does the new gear have MOJO even without the smell of cooking tubes and caps. i myself love my GK MB FUSION 500 that i use with heavy cabs( i know that light and heavy is a contradiction but we are gemini) so waddya think, new stuff with mojo or did we leave that behind? pretend you dont have to carry your own gear. new or old?
  2. cardboardJoe

cardboardJoe

Old.

And get off my lawn.
  3. grey area

grey area

ok sir. but i hope your over 58.
  4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

New genz benz for me and love the sound!
  5. jongor

jongor

I never liked using tube amps, too expensive, not reliable and getting them repaired a pain.

Right now I'm using 2 Epifani UL112's and a TH350 amp, killer sound and loud!
  6. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I look fondly at the weight specs of the class D amps... and then go ahead and shlep my 23+ pound head and my 2 60 lbs cabs......... with a handtruck. As an old fart, money is tight so there are no more upgrades for awhile.... but I still have my '72 Fender Bassman 100 head (68 lbs) in the storage room, and I keep it in working condition.

I'd love to get a 5 or 6 lbs something or other amp and a pair of 30 lbs 12" cabs......... just sayin'

The rig that stands out in my mind was an Acoustic 450 driving 2 Altec 421s in a 2X15 cab of JBL design.... I had that rig in road cases and played it from NY to CA....

You kids get outta my yard !!! :D
  7. grey area

grey area

me too. they had the tone when working but i only had the TV repair man to fix things and if you took it to his shop you were without an amp for months. my first HH just never went wrong.
  8. Jazz4

Jazz4

Out with the old and in with the new. As far as amps and cabs go. Old, when it comes to my Ric and P. :bassist:
  9. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

I'm 70 play two to three times a week in a band that is making some money.I use a Ubass with a Fender Rumble 350 combo amp with 2x10 cabinet.For the type of music we do it' s perfect. I think the sound is great .Sounds how I want it to.A 50 bass and it's all relatively light.The 350 combo is always loud enough .I do put the bass 350 combo on a stand to get it near my ears.That's modern enough for me.

Thanks

Davesound
  10. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I'm 65 and have never enjoyed lugging heavy stuff around, but did it when that was the only gear around. I have definitely embraced the lightweight bass heads, and , right now, I'm using a Carvin BX1500 ( 10 lbs ), and a MB F1 head ( 5lbs ). I also own a GK MB200 that I use for rehearsal and headphone amp hooked to the computer to learn new material.

The cabs, on the other hand, have been a bit of a struggle for me, as, I want to embrace the new designs, and lightweight advantages of modern cabs, but have'nt really found anything that comes close to a JBL loaded, 215 cab, with K140's. And, I'm talking about tone here, not the schlepp factor, or the SPL factor. Nothing has quite nailed that sound in my head, although I have been using a LDS 212/horn cab that is loaded with 3012HO's, and I think it is a good compromise. It's definitely easier to load in and out, and I've been told it sounds like " me " from other players. And, yes, I have tried the boutique cabs, like the BFM designs and Greenboy cabs. Just something about the sound, or tone with them that does not nail that " pretty " tone I get with my Jazz and JBL 15's. I've driven myself nuts , twiddling EQ knobs to try to duplicate what I hear with the JBL's, but, I'm convinced it's just an inherent " tone " of those particular drivers that I love so much. I've been told that the new Faital 15's get close to that K140 tone, but, at this point in my career, I'm just about done with new gear, and I'm winding down the gig schedule to suit a more relaxed lifestyle. So, I guess you could say I've kind of embaced the modern bass gear, but not 100%.
  11. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I'm 50, gig 2-3 times a week, and play amps and cabs by Mesa and Genz-Benz... Weight doesn't faze me much - I play whatever works and sounds good for me...

- georgestrings
  12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Well, I'm over 55 and don't have to run kids off my yard because I live in the country. ;) A few years ago, I was playing with two different praise groups. I was using an Acoustic Image Clarus. Its 400 class D watts into two 12's could not keep up with the louder of the groups. I went back to using a class a/B Thunderfunk 550 with that group. With the not-so loud group, I could do fine with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and one ten cab. About the same time frame, I was playing Christian blues using the Thunderfunk with AccuGroove (112 &115) cabs - great rig. I'm only playing with the one praise group now and have the luxury of not having to move equipment at all. I've been happy using a Walkabout and Baer ML-112 for months. Just last week I took delivery of the heaviest (60 lbs) and finest sounding amp to date - a Reeves C225. I'm leaving in a few minutes to install it in the sanctuary. Yeah, my body is aging, but I haven't lost my willingness to try new gear. :cool:

My answer is yes, there are some sacrifices, but there is a lot of good lightweight gear these days that can 'get you most of the way there' without straining your body loading in and out...
  13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

Oh man. I'm only 46, may I be an honorary "old dude"? Newer lighter amps please - love my Carvin Microbass!
  14. mgbass

mgbass

First of, this is a cool thread - thanks!

I agree with the comment about the JBL K-140's I had a set of those in single 15" JBL cabs with an old Acoustic head and that tone is in my head - forever!

However, I have been using the GB Shuttle Max 9.2 and it is close to the old Heavy Sleds, but it does not have the "balls'' of old school equipment.

The new GKF 800 is the closest's thing I have heard to the old amp heads - very impressed with this amp.

Speaker wise, is a wide open discussion.
    Nothing compares to the old JBL's but DNA has done a good job with their cabs, but rather heavy.
    Mesa Boogie still makes some good "big" sounding box's.

And GK's line of NEO box's are not bad for the price and the weight, they get close.

LDS - cabs are great, and Don being an old school guy gets them extremely close to the old "stuff".

Bottom line: That was an era of tone that is tough to replicate today. The "piece's and parts" have all changed and tough to get which making gear of old sound like today is difficult. The supplies are not there.

But I still like the direction, light, loud, with allot of tone.

And finally, so much of the term "tone" comes from ones soul and fingers!

Stay thirsty my friends and take a drink from the new gear out there, it ain't bad!
    Cheers
  15. nojj

nojj Guest

Hoping to make some changes is my big old (heavy) gear.
    My back will thank me...............
  16. praisebass

praisebass

I don't an old dude yet (49) but I'm trying to be. Love lightweight equipment and hope that helps me reach that goal and still play. My Ashdown rig is lightweight as well as the TC electronics combo I play at church. Super light. Maybe my hearing its just shot but I like the sound of modern amps.
  17. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

I'm 54 playing a 62 year old bass.
  18. seamonkey

seamonkey

There's no compromise in new gear. It's better than ever. It just happens to be lightweight.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have old heavy gear, new light gear, and new heavy gear. It is all great in its own ways, and I use it all as the gigs I do dictate. For example, I really want to bring my Heritage SVT rig today, but we're playing outdoors and it looks like rain, so I'll probably bring my PF350 and two little 210av cabs, maybe even one. But I totally prefer the big heavy stuff, especially when it comes to amps, but to a lesser degree the cab, too, since I've yet to play a cab I like better than the Heritage 810e.
    Blues Infidel likes this.
  20. Bassquest

Bassquest

For years I had a Sunn 200s with 2x15 cab. Now I use the light stuff (GK MB200, Ampeg PF350, 110, 112 or 210 cabs). i think we do lose a bit of that 'mojo' from bigger tube amps but I'm happy to be using the stuff I have now as it's generally lighter and tighter. I'll be 61 in Sept.