Old Jazz Bass Resonance Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matti777, Jan 10, 2014.

1. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

My old 60's jazz bass has this odd resonance problem on the E string. At least its most prominent on the E from the 7th fret up. If I let the note ring (undampened note) I get a odd sounding chorus or resonance. I'm not sure what to call it. At one time I thought it was the bad acoustics in my basement but its not so. I've had a set-up, changed strings, moved/swapped cabs, tried a different room, etc. Today I loosened the screws on the front pickup thinking it was old hard foam problem but no change. Moving the front pickup closer to the strings makes it worse (its about 1/8" or a touch more) Its definitely coming from the bass and it doesn't matter which pickups are selected, tone setting, etc. Any ideas?
  2. lz4005

lz4005

The neck pickup is too close to the string. The magnetic field of the pickup is interfering with the vibration of the string.

Back it off a little and it should go away.
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

pickup height
  4. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

I had to shim the neck on my RW jazz to have more room for pickup height adjustment and keep action as low as I wanted. I had a similar problem when the string was too close to the pickup pole piece. Now I love my set up though
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    pickup height is most likely.
    poles on pickup got knocked up somehow (this is a unrealistic probability)
  7. matti777

Good call guys. That was the problem. The bass tech said pickup height wasn't adjustable :eyebrow: and then I knew there was a problem. I think the height is supposed to be measured with string depressed so they were high. Its much better now.
  8. RSBBass

RSBBass

Please don't call this person a bass tech. There are many more accurate terms (not sure they are allowed on the forum though).
  9. matti777

don't get me going;)