Old man getting new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davesound, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Hi
    I'm having a bass made by a professional.To help me play it,it is a short scale bass.I have a 1980 mint Jazz Fender that I will be selling.The only problem with it is that it is to big and heavy for me to handle and hold.I want my new bass to sound like my Fender as close as possible.The body will be Ultralight Ash,sandwiched in Zebrawood.The neck will be three piece ,Maple,Zebrawood,Maple.The pickups will be ,Bartolini 8s-9J-Li.I don't know what bridge will give me the Fender Sound or work best for me.What Tuners are best. Will the Tuners and Bridge make any difference .Your input will help me complete this ,because right now I'm not sure what to do.Please help! I can't keep playing the Fender.

Thanks

davesound

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    You really expect THAT to sound "as close as possible" to your Jazz Bass? With that wood combination and Barts?

Good luck with that!

3. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish

Have you already started the build? If so, you might want to change a few things.

The fender sounds comes from:
    Pickups
    Single wood necks and bodies (that could be a laminate, but the same species)
    Passive electronics

Of course, people always change things like the bridge, tuners, and even pickups, and it still sounds like a fender! Sadowskys look like fenders, but they don't sound like them, because they use modern electronics and construction methods. I'd say if you want a fender sound, you need passive electronics at the least.

However, that doesn't mean you can't still have an awesome sounding bass from different materials!

4. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Why not just Franken-build a lightweight version of your jazz?....you then have 3 levels of cost/quality parts to choose from out there.
    -orig vintage parts
    -OEM new Fender parts
    -cheaper re-production parts

I get daily emails from evilBay on 1970 Fender J+P listings and there is always vintage parts to be had on there:bassist:

TMB

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

+1

7. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

Hmmm... I'd go for a Swamp-Ash body, same neck as your has now (don't know if it's maple or rosewood fretboard), hipshot ultralight tuners, PASSIVE electronics (Seymour Duncan Antiquity II is very similar to the pickups you have now), with a standard toploader bridge.

8. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    davesound, I see you're in the Baltimore area. I'm in Columbia. I have a full scale four string built by one of my favorite builders and it's roughly 7 pounds. Passive, nordy big singles. If you want to try it out to see if it's the scale or the weight that bothers you, I'd be happy to drop by and let you check it out.

9. String Theory

String Theory

Why not use jazz pickups and passive electronics? +1 for Hipshot ultralight tuners.

10. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

Thank you.I have not started the build , after reading these I don't Think I know what I'm doing yet.! Thanks for the advice.Please keep it coming.It will be a passive bass,but I must rethink this build.I will call the T. B er in Columbia for more advice.

Davesound

11. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I say get one of those medium scale Aerodynes from Fender Japan on ebay.