Old Mark Hoppus Bass Vs Modern?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by Thing1, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Thing1

Thing1

I have been on a major hunt for a first gen Mark Hoppus bass lately (ebay, craigslist, etc.) but man are those things hard to find in good shape :(. I have found a modern one faily cheap however, but I'm not sure how much I like the idea of the reversed pickups. I was just wondering if anyone who has played/owned one would chime in and say which bass is best for playing music from Dude Ranch - Take off your pants and jacket? As far as I know his 1st gen was based off that tone, and his modern one is for more of a +44 tone, but I could be wrong. Let me know what you guys know! Thank you very much :).

2. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182 Supporting Member

I think this may be in the wrong area, so Mods, please move if necessary.

I would like to consider myself a Hoppus fan, in fact he was one of the reasons I started playing. If you're looking at Dude Ranch, the man played an Ernie Ball Stingray (just look at the music video for 'Josie') but also played a standard P-bass (music video for 'Dammit'). Enema of the State was pretty much all P-Bass. He got his signature between there and TOYPAJ, which is pretty much the P-bass but in a Jazz body. So if you're looking for that tone, go for the first gen model. The new gen is cool too, I like the transparent paintjob and new neck.

3. BMizar

BMizar Perpetual Beginner Supporting Member

Someone was selling one of the first gens on the forum yesterday.