1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Old Mark Hoppus Bass Vs Modern?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by Thing1, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Thing1

Thing1

I have been on a major hunt for a first gen Mark Hoppus bass lately (ebay, craigslist, etc.) but man are those things hard to find in good shape :(. I have found a modern one faily cheap however, but I'm not sure how much I like the idea of the reversed pickups. I was just wondering if anyone who has played/owned one would chime in and say which bass is best for playing music from Dude Ranch - Take off your pants and jacket? As far as I know his 1st gen was based off that tone, and his modern one is for more of a +44 tone, but I could be wrong. Let me know what you guys know! Thank you very much :).
  2. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

I think this may be in the wrong area, so Mods, please move if necessary.

I would like to consider myself a Hoppus fan, in fact he was one of the reasons I started playing. If you're looking at Dude Ranch, the man played an Ernie Ball Stingray (just look at the music video for 'Josie') but also played a standard P-bass (music video for 'Dammit'). Enema of the State was pretty much all P-Bass. He got his signature between there and TOYPAJ, which is pretty much the P-bass but in a Jazz body. So if you're looking for that tone, go for the first gen model. The new gen is cool too, I like the transparent paintjob and new neck.
  3. BMizar

BMizar Perpetual Beginner Supporting Member

Someone was selling one of the first gens on the forum yesterday.