1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Old news? Markbass cabs (non Black Line) now made in Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Musicman20, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Musicman20

Musicman20

I've seen reports that some of the recent Markbass cabs are now heavier than the previous versions, and are 'Designed in Italy' but made in Indonesia.

I realise there is a Blackline of budget cabs from Markbass, but this is the normal line of cabinets.

Manufacturing in Indonesia is not a problem, but it seems odd that it has just happened without any information.

Has anyone seen evidence of this? With the normal line of amps or cabs?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Just went on MarkBass's site and sure as spit there is a new black line. It looks to be ceramic speakers, the 410 comes in at 80 pounds. The standard line looks to be the same, 65 pounds for a 410. I am pretty sure that is what my 410 weighs. It does not mention country of origin. Why do you think they would need to announce they were moving their production line? That is not something companies usually advertise. If they are trying to cut costs, labour is usually one of the largest costs, it would make sense their budget line is produced in a country where labour is a fraction of the cost.

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=33

When you said black line, I thought you meant old school MarkBass stuff. I had an old silverface MarkBass cab with black drivers, but that is just how they used to make them, it was far from a budget cabinet.

3. Musicman20

Musicman20

Sorry, I mean there are pictures on the UK bass site showing the non-Blackline cabinets with a made in Indonesia sticker. They are also saying the cabinet is heavier than the matching one they currently have (made in Italy).

4. Acroliter

Acroliter

I just bought a 121p. Mainly because of the sound but also do i like to spend my money on products made in non-third-world countries.

So I felt a little betrayed when I saw the "Made in Indonesia" sticker on the amp-unit of this product. The store even told me about a price increase. I paid 820 Euros.

Because I am very curious about those things I opened the protection grille and checked the speaker: not B&C (the label says "Markbass Yellow Line), pressed steel housing. One speaker-screw was lose and couldnt be tightened.

The handle on top of the unit was mounted asymmetric. The piezo tweeter makes an annoyingly loud hiss (no bass connected, gain and volume on 0, VLE max.)

Great sound and it weights even less than advertised but those flaws leave me with a pretty ambivalent impression...

cheers
    max

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well on the bright side, the tweeter in those combos always kind of sucked.

:D

7. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

8. mcnach

mcnach

Ha, they really do! :p

9. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Markbass is the worst. I have owned two of the 2x10 combos because of the weight but they just sounded terrible. What made it worse is you could not adjust the tweeter on the combo. I sold it and bought an Ampeg 212av to use with my SVT classic and it was the best decision I ever made. Anyone who thinks of buying MarkBass I would suggest buying a dolly or a cart and buy a better sounding heavy rig.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

So they weren't for you. I personally love the tone out of my Markbass cabinets, they compliment a nice mid range-y jazz tone great. My 410 pairs better with my Jaco Jazz than anything in my opinion. They do have a noticeable low-mid bump that cannot be ignored though, it cuts the mix well but I could see people not enjoying it.

I actually find Ampeg cabinets to be rather sub-par, they don't handle the low B well and lack the high end definition I am used to. I stopped buying their amps because of reliability issues. My SVT-CL was replaced by a Markbass SD800 and I have not regretted that decision for a second; more power and more definition plus a flat, uncoloured tone. That is what I am talking about! ;) :bassist:

That is the funny thing about opinions...

Now I have to ask, why did you buy two combos you thought sounded terrible? Markbass combos are crazy expensive. I buy all my Markbass gear used.

11. KJung

KJung

FYI, the tweeter adjustment control is on the amp, called the VLE. I actually always thought that particular combo sounded fantastic, and it gets much love on this site. That being said, the piezo tweeters in some of the combo cabs do suck pretty hard. The cabs with the compression driver tweeter sound great up top IMO.

I believe Markbass moved away from the B&C drivers a number or years ago, but don't exactly remember. I believe they use Faital OEM drivers now, but again, it has been a while and not sure.