1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

old peavey tg raxx guitar tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ()smoke(), Dec 14, 2008.

1. ()smoke()

()smoke()

i rearranged our garage today and opened up a rack case that i hadn't thought about in a while--there was a sabine tuner and a peavey tube guitar preamp in there...well, i remembered it tonite and removed it, brought it inside and put it through my TF power amp into a pair of 12s

i've been thinking a lot lately about tube preamps after noticing how much i like noodling through the little alamo guitar combo next to my desk

there are actually some cool sounds from the peavey, although there's some hiss that i couldn't resolve

it has 3 band eq but then another 3 knobs in a 'voicing' section, and the 'bottom' knob puts out a lot of it

pushing the pre into overdrive sounded horrid however...if i could control the hiss, i'm sure i could find a few nice sounds in it...couldn't tell what tubes are in it, but i might open it up this week and see

anyhow, just wanted to share...every once in a while, i plug into something cheap and weird and find something cool

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

It's got a pair of 12AX7's in it. I don't know much about the TG Raxx, but I love my TB Raxx, the bass version of that same amp. There's an active tone stack (the 3 band EQ), and a passive tone stack (the other three knobs in the "voicing" section that work really well together. I've not used mine for gnarly distortion, but it is nice and warm sounding.

jte

3. ()smoke()

()smoke()

hi jte--cool, i didn't know a bass version existed!

yes, the tg version is very warm sounding as well, this really makes me want to check out the tb now, if i ever see one around...i'd like to find the source of the hiss and try to coax something out of this guitar version too, it's surprisingly full sounding...i need to experiment some more--thanks for the info on the tb