1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Old Peavey TKO 115 75 watt combos. Decent?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by synterx, Mar 8, 2011.

1. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Need a cheap combo for quick basement jams. Got a local guy selling a MINT one for $100 cash. 75 watts isn't huge, but 15" and peavey 75 watts might be okay? Or, is this just a toy?

I need a combo for this Thursday, and he didn't reply back yesterday to my email, so I went ahead and ordered a new GK MB115 from Sweetwater. $400, about $300 more than I wanted.

Now I feel stuck. I had to return the last 2 things from Sweetwater, and feel back for my sales guy about doing it again. But, if this old combo is decent, I could save some bucks...add about 40 pounds, but...

Do you think it's worth more than $100? Of course with the weight, I can't really ship it for less than $50, so there goes any selling ideas I had.

Sorry for rambling.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Stick with the Peavey. It will get the job done. IME 75 Peavey watts - loud as heck. The GK will probably give you better "tone".
  3. renniw

renniw

I had one almost similar, was named TKO80, heavy as hell, not really a good tone, but in a band mix, get the job done for cheap.
  4. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Goalie Ordinaire Supporting Member

I had a TNT 150 years ago. It was a tank- plenty of volume, decent tone, and got the job done every time. It fell out of the back of our van more than once, had beer spilled all over it, etc and never had a problem with it. For $100, I'd say jump on it.
  5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

The TKO is a great amp.. workhorse.

My prefernce is the Basic50 ... smaller phiscal size.. smaller weight.. almost as loud.
  6. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I've played plenty of TKOs. Very reliable, not great but OK tone and decent power. For $100 that's alotta amp!

It's definitely not a toy. I absolutely hated carrying it. So it's golden for basement jamming, but it will get real old real quick if you are practicing/gigging with it multiple times a week.
  7. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I love my TKO for practice and small gigs, but if yours is equipped with a BW speaker, you'll need to remove the magnet from the basket assy. and check for that well known melting foam filter. It'll gum up the voicecoil. If it has gummed up, alcohol will clean the crud(one for the coil, one for the bassist, one for the coil, two for the bassist) Be sure to clean the voicecoil gap on the magnet. Cheers...
  8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Scopions also do this
  9. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

The GK will not be a big improvement over that Peavey. Combo amps like this are just glorified home practice amps (or small gig amps for VERY small venues)... Return the GK, keep the peavey and pocket the money.

And next time, go to a store first. On line shopping for stuff like this is a good way to go broke.
  10. synterx

I'm pretty sure it has a Sheffield in it. I think I can make out Sheffield something on the lower right silver piece, and the S in 115 S might mean Sheffield.

I'm getting the MB115 today via fedex (nice living one state from Sweetwater - free shipping, and I get it next day, and no tax...).

If I can live with it, and if it seems loud enough, then I'll likely pass on the Peavey. I do like light.
  11. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

It's your $$
  12. synterx

Go to a store first? Seriously? I had 3 days to get a combo. That's it. I have precisely 2 stores to choose from, Guitar Center, who only had the 210 MB combo at $699 + tax, or a local independent who only has Hartke and Genz Benz. Love GB, have had their gear, but didn't need to spend $1K+ for this.

So, I can do $144.00 for MB115 at sweetwater with their split into 3 payment deal, or buy the Peavey.

As my original post said, the guy never returned my email until yesterday, when I had to make the decision to get the MB from SWater.

Going to a store just isn't an option for many people. Not people with a 3 day deadline.

I'll be out around $40 bucks if the MB115 is no good. Or, I'll be stuck with a 75 pound $100 combo that I can't ebay or TB due to cost of shipping.

I dunno, I'll know when I try the thing tomorrow night.
  13. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Mine has been in service continually since 1998 with no problems whatsoever. To save my back I added casters and a handle, and I think it will outlast me.

Attached Files:

14. synterx

It's my money, but we aren't comparing exactly the same amps - it's not purely about money here. A quite old 75w vs a new 200w...

I gain 1/2 the weight, a warranty, looks (in my opinion), more wattage, and resale value and cheaper shipping with a box...and a return path.

And, I don't have to get off my butt and drive a town over and pick the thing up! Now that's lazy.

I see so many mixed reviews of the MB115. Having very rarely, if ever having used a combo, I really have no clue what to expect. I've always hauled my regular rig to practices. It used to be a MB2-500 + GB Neox-212T. Sold all that because I thought I was done with bands for good.

Now I got an offer to join something fun, and don't want to have a $1200+ rig sitting here collecting dust. The MB115 could be fun for just jamming on at home.

Fingers crossed.
  15. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

No toy there. I don't have the TKO (friends of mine do), but I do have a Peavey MarkIII Head I bought new back in 1979 and still killin' today. Those Peavey's are probably the most reliable amp on the planet bar none. I know you feel bad about canceling the order but Sweet Water sells amps all day long. They'll get over it and sell it to some one else. So don't feel bad, enjoy your killer combo, and save 300 bucks :bassist:
  16. martyman5000

martyman5000

Again I agree with Harry...I've wasted quite a bit of money doing the trial and error.
  17. Raymeous

Raymeous

Those old Peaveys are a pretty decent workhorse kind of amp and they sound ok. Depending on your drummer (i.e. Captain Caveman) those amps will work for live use in a moderately loud enviroment. Their tone isn't really anything to write home about, but as a previous poster said, they will get the job done and sometimes thats all you really need.
  18. synterx

After your thoughts, I am trying to return the MB115 before it gets delivered, and have an appointment to go pickup the Peavey. Guy is about 20 minutes away and home today.

We'll see!
  19. disp

disp

The Peavey gets the job done. No complaints about the tone or volume.
  20. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

I own a MB115 and love it. However, $100 for a mint TKO would win the day. That's a lot of amp for the $$. The buy-it-now prices on Evil-Bay are all over $200 for this same combo.

Good score!