Old Player wants an update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bweyland, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bweyland

bweyland

I have a bunch of questions not to many. First I played in a rock and roll band in my younger years before they started calling the Gibson SG EP3 it was an OB3. Also had a Vox Super Beatle. Well the house burned down and I quit playing. Now that I am retired I want to start again so I ordered my Gibson SG EP3. Now I know they aren't the same but how close are they? What is a P-Bass and a J-Bass, what is the P and J all about? Does the new Gibson EP3 SG just as good as the old one? Does SG stand for a short fret board. I won't ask this question I know I will get a lot of different answers such as Lakland, Fender, etc. Has anyone played a Carvin? Well I am sure I will have more questions as I go along and it seems no one wants a 63 year old bassist that hasn't played since the late 60s. So I am having a hard time finding a group here in Salt Lake. I am taking a lesson course from Roy Vogt first guy to get a Masters Degree in Jazz Bass from Miami University if I remember correctly. At least I can play with him. It is a very comprehensive course. Have to be able to read music, he does have tabs but I like to read the music for the timing. Well see ya all on the flip side some day I hope.

Willy

2. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

P= precision bass. Two pick ups together but offset and towards the neck. J= jazz bass. Two single coil pick ups one near the bridge and one near the neck. PJ precision pick up near the neck and jazz pick up near the bridge. Of course there are variations on this. Just trying to put it as simple as possible. As far as Gibson bass questions you asked, I could not answer that for ya. Have not played enough Gibsons to even feel comfrtable answering that.

As far as the sound of a P vs a J. You will get different answers. Both are great basses though. I prefer the Jazz, but also like Precision basses. I like the thinner necks of the Jazz, and that more grisly sound of the Jazz. Of course if ya ask about growl you will get about a 100 diff answers, lol. Hope I helped some and did not add confusion. I am not sure how else to explain it maybe someone will do a better job than me though ;)

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Hi Willy,
    I have answers to a couple of your questions. The SG stands for "solid guitar", which I guess was still kind of big deal when it was introduced in the early 60's. The SG Bass does have a shorter than standard fret board, with a 30" scale (from the bridge to the nut). The J bass is the Fender Jazz bass, and the P bass is the Fender Precision Bass; both have 34" scales, which is more standard, and in turn means a longer fret board.

Carvins are considered high quality instruments, but generally have a lower resale value used than Fender or Gibson, I guess because they don't have the prestige name....on the other hand the lower used resale is a good thing if you're buying used,

Welcome back to playing!!

4. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Avezzano

Avezzano

Ciao, Willy! Welcome back to the... powerful side of the music!!!

A the the risk of looking banal, I will remind you something that you already experienced in other fields of life: it is NOT about the age of your body, but rather about the age of your brain.

And the good thing of being uh... experienced in life (I am 56, so I know, too!) is that with time you acquired a huge capability for syntesis and this surely will be translated into playing; meaning that you already know by hart what's worth looking into and what is not, do you agree?

In addition: you did not actually play music for a long period, but for sure you paid (subliminal or conscious) attention to the music during those years; all of this will come up soon in your playing.

Start inserting ads on classified papers: you will discover lots of people your age that is looking for a solid no frills bass player.

Another important rule, here: "no pics no bass"! As you will have bought your rig, share with the friends at TB!!! Again: welcome back!!!

:bassist: ;)

P.S.: you don't even imagine what you're getting into, joining Talkbass. Watch the money going away from your wallet without even realizing that!!!

;) V.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Willy, don't worry about your age. I'm 56 and I still get down like Charlie Brown. Most of the monster bass players of this modern area are in their late 30's, 40's and early to mid 50's. I can compete with most any young boy bass player and often get asked to show up at other band's practices to give their younger bass player some pointers. It's never too late to pick up an instrument or pick it back up. I'll never, ever stop playing. When I'm an old man in a nursing home (if that happens) my favorite bass will be sitting in the corner looking at me and I'll get up and play it at least once a day. Congrats and welcome back to the land of low frequencies. It really is a good time to be a bass player. So much good equipment is now available and we are now getting out of the back row and corners of the universe and being allowed to shine. And if not we now take the shine.

8. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

true...sooo true....

welcome back to it Willy!

The world needs more of us no matter what age.

There is an overwhelming amount of info on this site. Take your time and read things carefully. As far as asking our opinions, tha tis good, but you have to make your own choices in the end. Use your ears, hands, eyes ,and monetary sense in the end!!

9. bweyland

bweyland

Thanks for clearing up the P, J and PJ for me. The brain is still working wonderfully as I have always kept it sharp. Went to college in 2005 and I got straight A's in math 3.83 GPA and that wasn't that long ago. So shouldn't be any problem now. I do have carpel tunnel in my hands that needs to be fix and of course the right one is the worst so I can still play the fret board and strum away with my index and middle finger or pick. I am thinking I should get a guitar with a longer fret board. Probably the Hofner McCartney because they are light and I am getting on in age. I know I need to actually play the guitars to see if they will work for me. Thanks for all the welcome backs, it is good to be back, I would go crazy if I didn't have my guitar. What does everyone think about the 5 and 6 string guitars. Pretty wide necks and I have small hands. LOL

Regards,
    Willy

10. rnarrington1

rnarrington1

First wait and see if you have a need for more than four strings. I personally have a hard time in my genre (country) playing anything but a five string. And if a five or more is what you need/want there are plenty of those around with fairly narrow necks, but the string spacing will be tighter. Just figure out what you will need and play everything you can get your hands on. And again WELCOME BACK!!!!!

11. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Welcome Willy...

I'm just back last year after 12 years out of playing...and it has given me a great deal of pleasure!!!

It's a good time to be a bassist :)
    The technology has come a long way in the past 10 years alone...I recently upgraded my rig and now have twice the quality at less than half the weight!!!

Regarding 5 and 6 string basses...I have relatively small hands too but I play a Lakland 55-94 and love it!!! It's along the lines of a Musicman Stingray in body shape with an extra jazz bass pickup in the neck position.

If I were you, I'd try several 5's and 6's if you're curious...thinner necks and tighter string spacing can help overcome the awkwardness of the wider neck.

But in hindsight, if I had to do it again I'd probably just go for a nice 4 string

Enjoy!!!

12. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Wille,
    The disease of bass playing has fundimentals such as:
    1. You can't play golf with 1 club, and neither should you try to do everything with 1 bass.
    2. Young punkies like to show you how big and tough they are, so when they want to pick up your heavy amp....let them.
    3. Strings are there to show what your fingers can do, if they don't sound right, change them.
    4. Little speakers make big sounds....explore 10" speaker cabinets as they wern't there when we were pups.
    5. The right amp is as exclusive and elusive as the right woman.
    6. People who book bands will still steal your eye and spit in the socket...no change there.
    7. Bass players make great mates because there is usually only 1 in each band so there is no need to be competitive and withhold the best ideas.
    8. Bass playing builds soul.
    9. Time spend playing your bass is not deducted from life.
    10. No-one can pluck a string like you can. Every bass player is an individual.

13. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Hey Willy! Good deal, man! I'm turning 60 this year. I started in 1965, but I laid my basses down 20 years ago when I started my mastering business and just 3 months ago started up again, and am now in possibly the best power trio I have ever been in, and with guys 20 years younger than me.
    Here's the deal - you shouldn't worry about p or j or Gibson or Fender or Carvin or whatever. You need to find a music store that will shoot you straight, get them to set you an amp up with everything set flat on the eq, so you are hearing just the bass, and then you just have to go through some different ones and find which one appeals to you in sound and feel. Doesn't matter the name on the headstock or the price on the tag, except concerning resale value as someone pointed out, but if you want to be morbid about it, that'll probably be something for your kids and grandkids to worry about, not you. *:OP (I'm in the same boat.)
    The only thing I would warn against; don't go with a shorter scale bass just because it feels more comfortable not having to stretch your fingers so far. Your fingers will adapt surprisingly quickly to a longer scale. So go with a shorter scale bass if you like the sound, not because it's easier to play right now before you begin getting your chops back.

14. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Hey Willy:

I own a 2011 SG short scale and various other "long scale" basses.

The SG short scale is one of my favorites.

My opinion to you is to get dadarrio chrome flat wounds for that short scale SG. They sound great and way better than round wound strings on an SG short scale bass.

Enjoy!

15. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Well this is down to personal taste and type of music played

Some would say no way, some say they are better....

The old EB3s had a HUGE variation in tone, going from a pretty bright (even thin with the wrong amp) sounding bridge pickup, to the mega-fat bass rumble of the choked neck pickup. In some situations these tones are suitable, but in general, most players tended to chose a tone somewhere in the middle of these extremes.

The new SG bass is altogether less extreme (but some might say middle-of-the-road). So for a typical band, the newer SG basses do everything you want -unless your favourite setting was the mega bass, you'll probably be perfectly happy with the modern SG basses.

16. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Born Again Tubey
    welcome back. 55 and playing for 41 years , giging for 39could never stop..... FWIW IMHO i would look into a p or j bass as a first as they are much more versatile basses.

17. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

I agree with a lot of what the other guys are saying so far. Plus since you are stepping back into it, if you decide on a P or J bass. Give one of the squier CV or VM a try. Lot cheaper than shelling out the money for a Fender to find out you may like the Gibson better. Just a thought, cause they seem to be pretty good basses atleast the ones I have tried and they get a lot of love around here.

18. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I'm 61 and in my 10 piece band we range from ages 19 to 68. Of course, we all argue like little girls. Seriously. age in rock matters very little. Look at the Stones! Or Jerry Lee. Or B.B. King. Or Bill Wyman. Or John Mayall. Etc.

19. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Why not? It comes down to individual needs (note; not wants) but I'm willing to bet that a single 4 string electric bass would cover the music requirements of 90% of TB'rs.

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Welcome back to the deep end. The water is awlays warw. Enjoy the swim.

I would suggest visting as many local music stores as you can and play every different kind of bass you can get your hands on. This should help you narrow down what feels good in YOUR hands. Once you have figured out what works for YOU, start refining your search. If you find one that you don't want to let go of, take it home.

21. tspallone

tspallone

Welcome back. I've been back for almost a year now after MANY, MANY years of pretending to be something else. Including, an all-round musician, songwriter, performer, engineer, who happens to add bass to the song.

Nah, I'm a bass player (damn it) who just happens to be able to add a little "this" or "that" to the overall creation of music.

When I listen to music, I hum the bass part. 'nuff said.

As far as basses are concerned; I'm a wine drinker; not a snob by ANY means. But, what I've found is, you pour me a glass of wine and I take a few sips, before you know it, it's tasting pretty good. Doesn't matter where it came from.

I've find it similar with musical instruments. Put a little time in and it BECOMES a good instrument.

But, as I've heard it stated, the thing has to look like you can't pass it by without touching it. Yes, like a woman.

Nice to hear others with similar stories.