1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Old Preamp Shootout - A.M.P. SL-1 vs Yamaha PB -1

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So I currently own a Yamaha PB-1 and I have an AMP (Amplified Music Products) SL-1 on it's way to me.

Both have parametric EQ's, crossovers and a lot of other bells. Can't wait to have the showdown with the two.

Any of you try both? Any opinions?
  2. finn74

finn74

I own the SL-1 and its very similar to SWR products. If you like the sound of SWR you will certainly enjoy the SL-1 pre amp. I have no first hand experience with the Yamaha Pre.
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I had the Yamaha Pb-1 many years ago. From what I recall it's a solid preamp with fast transients and a very very solid tone. I don't know what the High Pass is set at but I remember some extreme low frequencies that would really piston my speakers. So perhaps keep an eye on how much bass boost you use. I would highly recommend this pre-amp overall.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

It's been many years since, but I've owned both. The Yamaha was a nice pre, but it was clean and clear and back then I was looking for processed rock tones. I liked the AMP much better... it was also clean, but with multiple semi-parametric bands plus other EQ features I had lots of fun.

The weird thing about the AMP is that it's 1-1/3 rack spaces, but if you have two free rack spaces then you're good to go.
  5. Quadzilla

Thanks Ken!!! ;)
  6. Quadzilla

I thought I would like the AMP more, but so far, I like the Yamaha. It's just a bit more punchy and modern sounding. I've played with the EQ on each a bit. Oh, the Yam is hotter as well (higher output).

The real test will be at a live performance, in the mix....

[​IMG]
  7. Fuzzbass

Go with whichever works better for you (well, duh ;)). Cool rig!
  8. Quadzilla

Thanks Ken! Maybe I can get you to play it at a gig soon (since we are local).

In putting in more time with them, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha. I really didn't see this coming.

The Yamaha is far hotter (drives my amp better) and has more of a cutting tone. I can get a similar tone with the AMP, but it loses just a little off the top and bottom and has a little less clarity.

If you like a slightly more vintage tone and want more versatility, the AMP is the way to go.

If you want an amp with a HOT signal output and want more zing (modern tone), the Yam is the way to go. It also has a few more options that I like (level control on DI, effects sends and returns, grounding switches for the main amp and DI, etc).
  9. Fuzzbass

I never A/B'd these two units directly. I'm basing my preference on the fact that I preferred my solid state preamps to have fancy EQ, so of course the SL-1 hung around longer.

I'd love to check out your rig and revisit those preamps. I definitely want to see your band regardless. Unfortunately I have a conflict with your 1/25 gig, but we can hook up sometime soon after that I hope!