1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Old question..Squier vs MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by camardelle, Dec 10, 2013.

1. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

I'm considering the purchase of a passive P/J bass and while I love my Fender MIMs, it's my understanding that the Squier line from Fender has really come a long way. I originally started out playing Squiers and moved to MIM bass guitars. They felt much more solid than the less expensive Squiers so that's all I've purchased over the last couple years.

The Vintage Modified Precision Bass PJ really has me intrigued. Anyone got any experience with this bass specifically…good or bad? I want to hear it all so feel free to throw it out there. Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

bump for seemingly valid topic
  3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn! Supporting Member

Squier line all the way. I have owned MIA,MIJ Fenders as well as all the Squier lines including the early MIJ.

The new Squiers are all the bass you need for a weekend warrior type player and hold there own. To me the MIMs are ok but for the money the Squiers wins over them hands down.
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

I agree that Squier has come a long way, but so have the MIM Fenders. I personally prefer the MIM as they are a bit better with quality control.
  5. wigworld

wigworld

They are very close. A bad MIM may not sound as good as a great Squier.
    Try before you buy - side by side if possible - is the best advice.
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn! Supporting Member

As in say the MIM classic series..then I agree since they are great basses. A MIM standard vs. say a Squier CV..not so much and IMO the Squier for the money is better
  7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Without a doubt.

I tried a few nice Squiers at the store, and a few duds. I even bought a Squier VM P5 from an online retailer recently only to be very unimpressed, despite the nearly unanimous praise as amazing basses by TB.

I've never had a bad experience with a Mexican Fender. I really think they're good instruments. I had a Jazz V from 2003-2008, and a Precision since the beginning of last year.
  8. millsbass5

millsbass5

Personally, I'd go with an 80's MIJ Jazz Bass Special. There's just no way you're goin' wrong with one of those basses.
  9. camardelle

Intersting development…

I'm at GC's and MF's websites where these basses are listed of course, but I've noticed something new. The LPB version is now listed at $50 bucks less than the red and the burst models.

What does that mean to the group here? Could it be that they are going to discontinue this color? Could they be coming out with a maple fretboard on this one?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts so post up.

And Merry Christmas to everyone!
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

The 1st sentence I totally agree with - regarding the 2nd, I agree on new prices, but the used market *can* make things alot closer...

- georgestrings
  11. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

really the only weak points on these basses is the hardware and electronics..
  12. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

This is definitely why to try before you buy if you can. Between the Squiers and MIM, there are certain over and underachievers.
  13. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

old school mij is the way to go imo, my 84 squier jazz was really nice, but when i put the AC pickups in it, it became unbelievable
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Many times through Fender history the 3TSB color option on models was an upcharge ... Used to be $100 on some models
  15. camardelle

So I got both! Man I love my wife…

I picked up a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz '70s like this one.

[​IMG]

And this Fender MIM Precision Special, Deluxe Model which is a PJ. I replaced the tort pg with a gold one today. Check it out.

[​IMG]

I may be crazy, but these guitars look like they have the same neck with bound maple necks and block inlays? Interesting.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Nice basses! I like how you did the MIM with the gold pickguard. Looks really sharp.
    Tell us what you think of both in terms of playability and quality.
  17. camardelle

The main reason I bought the Jazz was because of the neck on the p/j. I've never played a 1.5" neck and I really like it a lot, so much better for my short fingers than the MIM P basses I've been playing. I have an American Special P in route to Texas as I type with a wider than jazz but narrower than my precisions I think, or hope.

The next few days are going to be interesting I think.
  18. camardelle

The holidays were interesting from a delivery standpoint at least. I looked forward to receiving my Squier Jazz '70s with great anticipation. When it arrived, it looked like this….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say I was more than a little bummed. I got on the horn with GC and got some fantastic customer service. I boxed it up and UPS picked it up the next day. Still waiting for my refund but I'm sure it'll get here soon enough. I ended up buying a Squier Modified Jag P/J with active electronics which I really like so far. It was about a hundred bucks cheaper too. I may still get the Jazz, but right now I'm thinking about cleaning house so in addition to the LPB MIM on the classifieds here, you may be seeing a couple other basses going up.

I am definitely impressed with my MIM Fender Precision Special. After playing p bass necks for a while, I am really enjoying the smaller jazz neck, plus it looks absolutely awesome with the inlays and binding.

I'm thinking of cleaning house a little, picking up the Squier Jazz pictured above and re-tasking the neck to one of my precisions, possibly the Lake Placid Blue one which I almost prefer to my American Special P I just received which is also awesome.

I think I'm starting to get a headache from all this thinking. LOL
  19. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Those VM Jazz basses with the ash bodies are very eye catching.
  20. camardelle

Very true, but the body looked better on the internet than it did in person. Maybe it was just the one I got, but should I do it over attain, I will likely do a painted body. It wasn't pretty, but then again I'm comparing it to a the four FSR basses I've owned. Tough to live up to that.