1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Old rounds rule!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by petermuca, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Hi gang. Maybe I am kind of wierd, but I really love the sound and feel of old roundwounds. I have a set of 2 and a half year old DR hibeams on my main bass, I did a tour with them last year and all the practise sessions (a lot)ect... Now we are going to do another tour and I decided to not change them, they sorta are the part of the bass, you know what I mean, maybe I am too sentimental :) I am just wondering if anybody has the same experience. Btw I dont slap and always roll the treble off on the preamp :) ps sorry for my english

2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    1) what music do you play?
    2) do YOU like how the sound fits in the context of the music?

3. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I did this once. I kept the fenders on my first bass for about 8 months that it came with. and loved the broken in feel. Whatever's comfortable and sounds good for you is what matters.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a couple or three basses with old rounds - most of them 2-3 years old at least.

Once they get old enough to lose that annoying "zing" that new rounds have, I'm OK with them.

I usually like 10-year-old flats best, but there are some basses where the slightly brighter sound of 10-year-old rounds is better to my ear.

5. Sponsored by:

6. Yes that zing ennoys me too with new strings. I saw a video where ed friedland plays his jazzbass with some 10+ years old rounds, it sounded right to mee.

7. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    Yeah I HATE new strings. No "zing" for me. This is a BASS not a piano! Lol! Drives me crazy when people want "piano-like" tone from their bass. That works for solo bass artists and superstar bassists/bandleaders but does NOT WORK for us bass players that actually play bass lines in rhythm sections behind a singer/lead instrument.

That said, i do appreciate having some articulation up high. Not zing or snap, but some articulation. Therefore, I really love old nickel roundwounds. I have flats on one of my basses and really love them, they make a bass a BASS, but they inherently don't have the same clarity on the top end, which is a good thing they're engineered for a different type of sound, but there's a middle ground of "bass" and "articulation" that I've found I can only achieve with broken-in nickel rounds.

I'm a fan of MTD nickel rounds, they're fantastic, but I've been hearing grey things about Dunlop nickels I might try them for the sake of value they're like half the price of MTDs

8. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I love old, worn in rounds, especially stainless DR's. Meat without the zing.

9. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I had the same rounds on my p-bass for nearly 15 years... I cried when one snapped, it's had the same set of flats on it since then (3 years).

10. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I love old rounds but I still love zing in my playing so I changed my strings. I love piano tone sound 😎

11. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    old rounds are just like new flats........that's why I play flats!

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Years ago I bought a used Rickenbacker 2030. It had old rounds on it. It really copped the flatwound type tone.

I prefer slightly broken in rounds. To get the flat tone I palm mute of thumb pluck.

I will leave strings on a bass anywhere from a few days to a couple years.

13. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    I've found that GHS Compression Wounds or Ken Smith Compressors give me the "old rounds" sound on my P/J, without the wait. Win!

14. I do it sometimes. Old DR's sound great.

15. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Berkley, MI
    I bought a used Warwick Corvette 15 years ago with, what I was told, 2 year old rounds. NEVER been changed. Love the growl and smooth treble. Just wish I knew what brand they are. I also have a probably 10 year old set of plain old tan label Dean Markley's on my favorite beater bass. Took them off tried new ones, and back on they went!!

I hate hate HATE new strings. YMMV etc.

16. Unless I plan to record, I don't buy new rounds.

All of my round-strung basses..matter of fact..all of my basses together.. 2 strung with flats...have old strings..flats last forever, anyhow.

Also, I am not gigging. No gigs.. no $$ for new strings.

If it ain't broke..don't fix it...and I have never broken a bass string..NEVER ..EVER.

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Apparently numerous people here are fond of old roundwound strings. I am not one of them. :eyebrow:

If your old Hi-Beams haven't yet become impossible to intonate, they will. And if they haven't yet begun to generate all kinds of unpredictable harmonics and "wolf tones", hang on for awhile - they will.

MM

18. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    That's exactly why I like GHS Boomers. They lose their zing pretty quickly, so while I wouldn't call them dead at that point they mellow out enough to be very versatile. Dial out the tone and I get a flat-like sound...dial it back in and I can get enough brightness for rock or slapping.

19. Interesting, I love the "zing".
    :bag:

I guess the problem with liking 10-year-old strings is that you have to wait 10 years to get them :p

20. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Not the only one. I love zing too.

21. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    +1

Not a fan of old roundwounds at all. The beauty of DR rounds for most of us though is that they last a long time.