"Old School", "Warm", "Fat" roundwounds for a P bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jan 16, 2013.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I made the mistake of putting my 4 year old set of the old Fender 8250s on my P bass today. Those sound and feel perfect. Alas, they are no longer made the same way.

Can anyone recommend a string that meets these characteristics? I want my P bass to sound like a P bass, just not with flats (at the moment).
  2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I currently have two year old Lo Rider steels on my main P bass. The steel still has a bit of crispness, but the tone is nice and thumpy.
  3. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio

Going the other way, Chromes may be worth checking out. They're bright as far as flats go. I use them on my P bass in my rock band and don't plan on ever going back to rounds.

That said, before the flats, I used Elixir Polywebs because they sounded a bit more warm to me than other rounds I'd tried.

joe
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I like dead nickel rounds for this tone. So maybe slap some new nickels on a different bass, and play it until they get that nice dark thump, then swap them over onto the P.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I use my tone knob and amp EQ with whatever strings I happen to be playing that day. Good tube pres don't hurt either. However, a guy who lives near my brother gets me to send him my old strings when I'm done killing them because he likes old nickels.
  7. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

+1 I put them on my Yamaha BB1200S with the same results. With proper EQ'ing they sound like rounds BUT no string squeak and easy on the fingers and frets. Or if you want you can EQ to get an old-school Motown thump.....
  8. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

ive tried chromes. I like them on some basses but not the sound im after on this one
  9. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

10. hotbass57

hotbass57

DR Sunbeams are nice sounding rounds. Bright then mellow quite nicely.
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

TI Jazz Flats sound great but like all flats and my fav Chromes you hve to give them time to really shine.
  12. Ron G

Ron G

I made the switch to DR Dragon Skins on my P.
  13. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Get steels and and play 'em til they mellow . . . .
  14. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

I used Sunbeams on my Duck Dunn until recently. They were really nice. I bought some GHS Precision Flats and they are more Old School, Warm and Fat than any string I've heard on a PBass. I think that I'm done with rounds on my PBass. If I ever ever go back to rounds, it will be Sunbeams again.
  15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Labella 760 FL's, warm round tone yet articulate and you can slap 'em if you want to, they do that too.
  16. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Dunlop nickel rounds.
  17. Toptube

Toptube

Webstrings. No joke.
  18. aerodyne1

aerodyne1

I play Rotosounds exclusively on all my basses. They mellow out after a few hours of playing.
  19. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

I'd consider Black Diamond 500s. They have a really nice growl to them, and you don't have to EQ much to get a great old-school thump out of them. If I liked rounds, it would be them or Sunbeams.