1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

old six string

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by bassfreakah, Oct 10, 2011.

1. bassfreakah

bassfreakah Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I have had this old sixer for ever and a day. I would love to know some history on it. I got it from galaxy music in atlanta when i was going to AIM. I did not get any info on the bass at all, because it was used and the guy who sold it was a dick, so any info would be heplfull. I love the bass and do not want to sell it, just would like to know more about it. the serial # is 3381 sorry I got 4 kids sippy cups and such. It is a roscoe......

Attached Files:

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I think you might need to give a little more info than that...
  3. JOME77

JOME77

Yep. Give Gard the Serial number and he can probably help you.

I've visited Galaxy a few times back in the day when they carried Roscoe's (around 1998-2001). They seemed like decent folks to me. Maybe you caught one of their salesmen on a bad day. :)

Good luck finding out the details on the bass. Worse case is post some pic's. We're all fairly good at identifying wood types (or at least enjoy the challenge!).
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Galaxy was the first place I ever saw a Roscoe. Definitely got my attention back then!
  5. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Are we sure this is a Roscoe? Doesn't the OP say no info on builder?

If it's a Roscoe, wouldn't Keith and crew have built it?

God Bless, Ray
  6. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    Sorry i was a little slow on info I got four kids. It is nice to see these fast replys. Dont freak out LilRay it will be OK. It really is a great bass it would be nice to know who built it. thanks everyone.
  7. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Im Not freaking out brother. Just trying to make sure that you get the info you're looking for. Got anything that might help? Serial #, description, etc?

Are you looking for an individual name that built it?

:D

God Bless, Ray
  8. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    the serial # is in the first post 3381 and everything is cool Ray just messing with ya bro. I would like to know the individual who built the bass. or at least all the info that comes with roscoe basses when you buy them new.
  9. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    No really the guys at galaxy are great it was just one who was a ass I think he got fired for stealing or something after. I have delt with galaxy and got lots of gear from them, good people. I just remember having to fight with this guy when buying the roscoe for a case and new strings when paying a good bit for bass with no papers or any info whats so ever. but i think i came out on top the bass has been a work horse for lots of years on road. People have always told me the bass has a p type tone to it. That is the best thing you could say about any bass imo.
  10. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey!

OK, from the photos, it's pretty tough to be sure of anything, lot of glare and overflash (not criticizing, just explaining why I am not 100% sure).

From what I see, the most I can say is that it appears to be a koa top and a rosewood (of some type) fingerboard. No idea on the back without photos of that, and not sure of the preamp either. Based on the serial number and a few other clues (hardware, carve on the top), that is a late 90's bass, and the "who" would be impossible to let you know, as there were several people that did that work at the time, and none of them (other than Keith himself) are now here. :)

If you can get some clearer photos of the front and back, it would be helpful. Unfortunately, our records from that period are incomplete, so the serial number doesn't give us any information on the bass itself, sorry...
  11. JOME77

JOME77

^ Right arm!

From the pic's I'm thinking Koa top and rosewood FB too. I don't believe that I see a concentric pot so I'm betting a 2-band Bart (but that would be easy to verify by removing the rear access cover and taking a look see).
    It's also got the Wilkinson bridge and Keith was installing a lot of the 2-band Bart's in those days.
  12. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys I will get some better shots up. Thank you very much for you posts!!!!It is a two band pre bass and treble, pick up blend with one nine volt. Sounds great just flat.
  13. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Then Joe's correct, it's a Bartolini NTBT preamp. :)

Look forward to more pics, I am diggin' that top! :D
  14. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    It is funny how that happend, I dont wear a belt. the bass is on top of my phat belly most of the time. Its the only scar on the bass and it is just the finish, the wood it not effected. It would be nice to fix that one day.
  15. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    OK, nice pics!

Still not 1000% sure on the top, everything about it screams "KOA!!!", but there just isn't enough for me to be definitive on that call. The back however, is definitely mahogany. :) Also, confirmation on Joe's preamp ID, Bart NTBT 2-band preamp w/output gain control.

By the way, however that "rash" on the back got there, we LIKE it - means it's been played!!! :hyper:

:)
  16. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    It was my main bass on the road with AncientHarmony for six years. This bass pluged straight into a svt 2pro and 810 cab = great sound every night and a happy sound man.
  17. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Nothing like good pure TONE, is there? :)
  18. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    Hell that thing is a tone monster!!! really guys i have played a bunch of phat basses but the roscoe has the sound that sits right in the mix with little or no eq. As soon as things get better money wize i will be checking into a sweet 4 string roscoe. It would be cool to have a 4 banger other than fender to kick around on.( though a p bass is super nice and always works) I bet you guys could build a killer p!!!!!!
  19. bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    what kinda paperwork comes with a new roscoe?
  20. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Well, first is the embossed and notarized letter of certification. This is good. Then there's the autographed picture of Gard, from his David Lee Roth days, complete with long hair, bare chest, and backless chaps. This is not so good, but you've always got the Roscoe itself.

Seriously...you get a nice letter offering an overview of your bass, signed by the same guy who puts his name on the headstock. Worth keeping, for sure.