1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Old Spiro Formula

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dylanjohnson, Mar 1, 2014.

1. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Hi all,
    My bass has always sounded choked to me with Spiro Orchestras, but I put on an old set (maybe 12 years old) that I had around and they were noticably less tense than a newer set that I had last year. I know there have been some threads about whether the strings were reformulated or not, but does anyone know more about this? Could it be that they were the 4/4 vs the 3/4 size?
    Thanks,
    Dylan Johnson

2. The making was not changed, but the material they got for their strings might have changed.
    Old strings get longer over time, so the tension migh be a bit lower and the strings also get more flexible over time when played.
    The 4/4 Spiros have less mass on the same length unit, so the tension of the 4/4 Spiro is lower when used on the same scale length as a 3/4 Spiro.
    The only way to find out if it is a 3/4 or 4/4 string is to compare their lengths. The 4/4 Spiros are about 8cm (3 inch) longer than the 3/4 Spiros.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA