Old timer but newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gip111, Nov 14, 2012.

1. gip111

gip111 Supporting Member

New to Talk Bass and somewhat new to bass but an old timer.
    I used to own a bass back in the 80's but did very little with it and never took it seriously. I did strum a little guitar on and off for years but after running into Talk Bass I got bitten with the desire to go out and get a bass. Been practicing now for about a month as a hobby (great websites out there to learn stuff on) and have been making some slow but realistic progress.
    Just wonder, are there any others like me out there? I'm in my 50's
    Guys, be gentle.
    Gil

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

I admire you:
    I'm 39 but never really quit playin' (just giggin' for awhile... I'm a father after all) and you know why?!

1- 'cause I was lucky enough not to have to do it
    2- 'cause I don't really know I'd ever be able to start again

(welcome back:hyper:)

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I am 50 and God willing will be 51 after the new year. I started playing (guitar) in my early teens had a few crappy bands till I got out of school. I did not touch another guitar/bass until I was near 40. Since then almost 11 years I have been on a stage at least 1-2 times or more a month and having a blast.

This Friday I have not only 1 gig but two back to back and have to race across the city from the first gig to the second and jump on stage at 1am...love it! Welcome here and to get back into playing. You are never to old...go for it.

4. bill reed

bill reed

Started playing bass in 1967 and stoped in the late 70s and started playing organ, but started playing around again in the late 80s but really only got into it again about 10 years ago. i just turned 60 a few weeks ago.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I'm 56... and I have a nice little practice setup in my basement so I now have get-togethers about every week with local musician friends, so I'm playing pretty regularly these days.

(no real desire to "gig" anymore, to be honest!)

It's good for the soul, keeps you young!

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

My oldest bass student is 67. She picked it up to play in the RV Park and retirement community bluegrass/country/Americana jams that pop up like wildfire in Yuma during the winter months.

So I'm thinking, no. No such thing as too old. She's been at it for only a few months, and will be playing in front of crowds that local bar bands would kill for by Christmas.

8. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I'll be 55 in a couple months and still plugging away. I played on and off over the years. My longest hiatus was about 10 years with some shorter bouts here and there. Their is no age requirements for playing music.Remember music is not a competitive sport, its all about having fun! Enjoy!

9. bh2

bh2

Hi Gil... I'm an old git at 55 and I've been playing bass since I was 17.

At the moment I'm into drum and bass and play a beaten up 62 fretless fender jazz that I've had since the mid 70's...

Very into Banco de Gaia at the mo... second childhood?

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Hi Gil, I'm 53 been playing since I was 11. No breaks to speak of I'm a glutton for punishment! Go buy your self some nice gear and enjoy![​IMG]

11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Now I see you got a straight Thunderbird with... a BadAssII!!!

Great man

Great

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. MakoMan

MakoMan

I'm exactly like you and in my early 50s. Had a bass in my teens but never learned to play it.
    Took up the bass one year ago and it's amazing the progress I've been able to make through patience and proper lessons. No doubt you will be amazed as well.

13. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Wallace I built that bass from scratch about 5 years ago it's not a real Gibson.

14. Way1994

Way1994

62 and on month 6 of learning. A lot of fun, someday soon will have the skill to play in a group setting with friends.

It is never too old to learn new tricks.

15. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Supporting Member

Welcome to Talk Bass and welcome back to the Low End. I am 55 and have played on and off since I was 16. I did have to take off about 15 years of gigging to make money and raise my family, but then right back into it .I retired from gigging 4 months ago. I bought a banjo and am in the process of learning that now.Just have a blast . Bass will always be my first love,then guitar,we shall see what actualy comes next musicaly.But it is and has been my best friend and my passion .Hope all goes well.

16. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I turn 61 Nov. 27th.... I've been playing full time since I was 15... turned pro at age 18... wouldn't miss it for the world....

Welcome back to the fold......:bassist:

now and then (the one with the long hair)

Attached Files:

17. Avezzano

Avezzano

If you think you are crazy ... well: this is the madhouse! 56 here and lots of stuff to do during the week, but... my mind is set toward the next saturday rehearsal! Welcome here and be ready to increase the Amount of bass gear soon...

18. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I started learning how to play in the early 80s, when I was about 14. I played in a lot of bands from that time right through my 20s. Quit music entirely for a dozen years, picked it up again a year ago.

The great part about doing music when you're older is that you finally have some money for decent gear. ENJOY IT :)

19. Avezzano

Avezzano

20. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

+1 to the +1 !

I too came back after too many years away. I have played in some great local bands in the past, but the guys I'm playing with now are stellar folks.

At our respective ages, we're a lot smarter and we have a little thing called disposible income.

Finally, we are old enough to know that you can often say far more with a few tasty notes than an entire truckload of them. Sometimes the root note really is the answer !

Welcome, oh bottom dwelling brother. Make it funky now !

P.S. My receding hairline can kick your receding hairline's A$$ ! ;)

21. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I've had an attraction to the low end since I was teen-aged (I'm now 56). I traded a trombone for my first bass when I was fifteen. I was asked to join a band almost immediately because I had gear - you know how it goes... I had a long hiatus to 'focus on family'. Didn't have a bass for quite a few years, but I was playing bass lines in my head. Mental bass vs. air bass. :D Shortly before my divorce, I took delivery of a Mexican-made precision bass on the day George Harrison died (!?). One of my ex's last mistakes was to knock it over. Both are history. I ended up giving the precision to a nephew. After the divorce, I began playing again in church. I had fun for a while playing and recording with a christian blues band, but I'm back to praise exclusively. Always remember to have fun, brother - that's why it's called 'playing'! :bassist: