1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

old Trace Elliot 1518 (red stripes) needs new Driver

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by UluMulu, Jan 11, 2014.

1. UluMulu

UluMulu

Hello Guys,
    I managed to get my hands on an old Trace Elliot 1518 Cab without speaker in pretty good condition for small money.
    First of all, i already asked google (and looked trough Talk Bass)
    so i know the old Trace 1518 isn't a jewel - but not bad at all.
    One point seems to be, that the cab is pretty huge while modern 15" cabs have the half size. i guess the cab has about 180l ~ 6.3 cubic feet, maybe a bit less.
    The original Speaker was an 15" Celestion 300W 8 Om Driver.

I already mailed Trace Elliot to get any information for that cab, but got no response. so i contacted Celestion and
    They recommend the Celestion TF1530 (125€) as replacement, or the BN15-400S (230€) with neodym magnet.

Now i checked google and talkbass for additional drivers which work in large vented cabs and found 3 speakers that could be nice, too

Eminence 3015 (200€)
    Eminence Kappa Pro 15" (150€)
    Faital Pro 15PR400 (180€ - real bargain imho)

The KP15" or a similar OEM Type seems to be used in the huge Bag End S15B-D
    while the Deltalite and Faital are (better) Neodym equivalents.

So i "just" want to know, which speaker would the best to go?
    I would prefer the Neodym versions, but i dont want to spend more than ~300 Dollar for the Celestion, when Eminence and Faital possibly do a better job. :rolleyes:

Soon as the cab arrives, i will measure the correct size and port diameters to use WIN ISD and T/S Parameters.

So long,Already thank you for reading and all responding posts below this Question ;)

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The 3015 (non LF) has been used with success. Eminence publish small medium large box designs for each. The large is probably similar to 1518.

WinISD is a little off in its predictions but not too bad.

The Faital gives quite similar yields to 3015, not sure if it requires same tuning for best results.

It's a big box but you're a bit off at 6 cubes, more like 4.5 from memory. What do you have for ports?

3. UluMulu

UluMulu

Hello again and thanks for replying,
    It's the same cab like here
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs-ft-trace-elliot-1518-bass-cab-1x15-300w-8ohm-752064/ and i calculated the volumen with this dimensions and suggested 3/4 ply, so i came to 6.3 cf. dont know if there's some internal bracing.
    I will receive the cabinet next week monday or tuesday, so this is earliest date for measurements :-(
    I read Eminence 3015 and the Faital Pro are nearly same specs, but the the faital goes 'bit higher (better for fulrange), but there are also a few threads here in TB about that.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    The problem we had replacing the original blown celestion driver with a JBL 2226 we fitted in Cradle of Filth's old bass player Robin Eaglestones cab, was that the increased X-Max caused the cone to hit the metal grill, so we just got a pry bar and
    carefully bent the grill outwards in a circular pattern till it cleared at high power he was using one half of his old SMX 600 into it biamplified.
    Sounded great when it was clear though.:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I must be mixed up with my JBL cabs, sorry. Iirc my port tubes are 5", I will have posted on the Team Trace Elliot(t) (sic) thread. You might like to sign up there, it's good keeping the Trace info together. Search Thread is much more powerful than a general board search.