1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Old Trace Elliot Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by badboy1984, Mar 14, 2014.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Took this amp home with me last night for well under £100.

Is a old Trace Elliot i believe with XLR input as well. The amp works which is a good thing and sound decent so far, haven't really try it out properly yet so can't say is flawless yet. Consider the amp's age i expect some service in the future as well. First the amp have 2 power switches, one at the back and one at the front, I take it it have seperate power switches for the power amp and pre amp section. The back panel is simple and i take it the 2 jack output is to connect 2x 8ohm cabs. The amp is not uber quiet like modern amps but in band/gig situation it doesn't matter too much. The amp is heavy but i guess all the weight is from the power amp inside the case but it feel very sturdy overall.

I'm start thinking shall I ditch the TC cab and grab a trace cab instead. Everytime i play a trace elliot combo (not the new one) it sounded bloody loud. I play the 150watt 15" Trace combo in church and it is very loud when the gain and output is set halfway. If this amp pumps out more power then that, i can't imagine how loud it can get. I only play small/medium size venue and PA support sometimes. I guess this amp will be loud enough for small gig without using PA.

Given the age of the amp i guess mid 1980's. I take it the amp was design and build in UK?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That is unlike any of the models I have seen in pics. Maybe a prototype?

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mid 80's would be a good guess.

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

For £60 I can't go wrong. I bought it to use in venues when my LB30 is not enough without PA support.

Haven't try the amp properly yet but i got a feeling it is very loud.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You should join us on the Team Trace Elliot thread. Some gutshots would be fun. Maybe we can tell you what you got there.

7. badboy1984

badboy1984

I have just posted the photo on the Team Trace Elliot thread pt 4. That amp head is my first Trace Elliot i own but have play many different Trace amps before. I kinda like Trace stuff now.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'll get you a Team number.