Older "used" combos under 55lb/25kg ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bedroommuso, Jan 30, 2013.

1. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

I want to find out if anyone knows of any lighter weight combos that have enough power to play out and are available used and hence may be available on the cheap! Older, US, UK, EU made is the best, passive cooled is good, 55lb (25kg) or under.. what's out there?

I realise there are lots of newer combos that would probably fit this bill.. but being the second hand scavenger and liking older gear I am primarily interested in "old" and "used" for bang-for-buck, budget and reliability reasons.

I've spied a couple, but wondering if anyone knows of anything else:

SWR Workingman's 12 120W+ (50lb) (Passive, USA?)
    Eden Nemesis NC210 2x10 200W (47lb) (Passive, USA)

Cheers!

2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

I think you can take the "loud, light, cheap; pick two, because you can't have all three" model and replace loud with "old." Older, especially cheaper, is usually going to mean heavier.

It clearly depends on your needs, but for a lot of people, an inexpensive 12" combo isn't going to be under consideration for playing out.

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

4. Edword

Edword

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

SWR Workingmans 15?

7. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Nit picking, but both the SWR and Ampeg B100R are over 55 lbs. Don't know how available the SWR's are, but used, they're likely to cost as much or more that some current models.

8. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    There were a bunch of SWR combos for sale on the GC site recently. Look in the 'used gear' pages.

I borrowed a Workingman's 15 for a week of shows once and don't remember it being too heavy. Sounded pretty good for a single 15 combo amp.

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    SWR Workingman's 15 is spec'ed at 55 lb. the 12 is spec'ed at 47. You're looking for plywood combos I think. My BXR200 was MDF and 72 lb.

10. MODELL

MODELL

In the mid 90's, I had a Genz Benz ML115 combo and it was lighter than the SWR Workingman's 15 that I also had during this period. It was light, loud and lately I've seen one or two for sale below $350.00 (cheap?). Also a pretty good transparent tone......

11. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Thanks for those suggestions. The Workingman's 15 and Genz Benz ML200 series fit the bill. Problem is that I'm way down in the Southern Hemisphere.. Even searching those amps restricted to my country (Oz) yields basically one or two old, defunct links. I will keep a lookout in the rare chance one might come up..

Keep 'em coming if you can think of anything else. At least some sort of shortlist may maximise my chances of finding something ;)

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician

I found this amp inadequate for all applications except as a practice amp or for drummer-free cafe gigs. Skip it. It's big sister is a tiny bit better. I had both and wanted to them ditch them very soon after getting them.

Get a used 600+ watt micro head and try various used cabs. IME, you'll get a lighter, better, and ultimately cheaper rig. :cool:

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
  14. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Thanks for the tip regarding the workingman, however, honestly for my type of playing, I think a combo greater than 100W will do, and if it has an extension speaker capability that would be even better.

Also re buying a microhead - I have thought of that but at this stage of my life I am not really jamming that seriously (mainly with people with electronic kits) to justify the expense. I have a peavey 60W basic which is just a bit too underpowered against two guitarists, and I've also got a seperate head + 1x15" cab but I'll probably sell that mainly because its just too bloody heavy.

The amp I am looking for right now would be the intermediary between a my practice amp, and a seperate head + cab rig. I suppose what are known as "club" amps. I was hoping to land something for $150-$300 (Oz dollar). A microhead + a light enough cab would be more like $600+ here.. again a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I will add the MBE150E to my shortlist!