1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Oliv gages?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Phil Redman, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

Any body know the diameters for Olivs? I'm trying to replace Olive E and possibly A with something of similar gage but clearer pitz sound. Sorry if this info is posted elsewhere...I searched and couldn't find it

Thanks,
    Phil

2. bskts247

bskts247

I was told once that the oliv A string is about a .115 and the E string is .130 ish. Not sure how accurate that is but it will give you a rough understanding.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

I had bad luck with an Oliv A- it had a horribly thuddy pizz on my bass- zero sustain. I would have kept it because it sounded so good arco but the fell apart after a few hours!!! :bawl:

I ended up trying Eudoxa for the E and A- absolutely AMAZING strings!!! Especially the E! Clear as a bell, great sustain and a superb match for Oliv D and G.

I finally had to give up on Pirastro wound gut strings for their inconsistent quality- too bad too, cause when you get a good one they are REALLY GOOD!

Joe

4. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

So it sounds like the gages of the Eudoxas match up pretty closely with the Olivs, is that right? I just want to avoid the situation where the A is a smaller gage than the D. I've been there in the past and didn't like it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

+1 for the Eudoxa E /A. I liked the sound of them much more than the Olives- it is surprising how different a sound they have. The Eudoxa is much darker; but I could never quite get used to the texture of the outside windings, so like every time I've tried new strings in the past ten years- probably 20 different sets- I went back to Spirocore E/ A. Some days it is medium and other days Starks...

j
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

7. DC Bass

Phil,

I dug through the old string box and found what remains of my beloved Eudoxa E.
    One of my favorite strings of ALL TIME!!! :hyper:

I don't have a caliper with which to measure it, but I do have some other strings I can use for comparison.

It seems to be just a shade bigger than a Spirocore Stark A which Gollihur's (All Hail!) web site shows measuring .095...so maybe the Eudoxa E is .100 or somewhere there abouts?

If memory serves the Oliv are slightly bigger than Eudoxa "string for string" (comparing E's to E's, A's to A's, etc) but not overly so. As I recall the Eudoxa A is still larger than the Oliv D. When I had the Eudoxa E and A paired with Oliv D and G I found them to be nicely graded in size.

FWIW- I now use Gamut strings- a wound E and plain Pistoy A, D and G. The E is much smaller than the A...heck, I think it's smaller than the plain D! lol!

I know what you mean about it being strange but I got used to it pretty quickly.

James-

I found the Eudoxa to be brighter than the Oliv on my basses. YMMV and all that! :)
    What didn't you like about the Eudoxa winding?

Joe

8. DC Bass

Just checked the Gollihur site again and found actual measurements for the Pirastro Eudoxa:

E .108
    A .090
    D .079
    G .071

No measurements listed for Oliv unfortunately but maybe this info will help?

Thanks to the Gollihurs for providing such a wonderful site! Y'all ROCK! :)

Joe

9. olivieraleman

olivieraleman

According to the strings megathread, string gauges chart

Oliv. G .070
    D .085
    A .095
    E .135
    John

10. DC Bass

Thanks John!

Wow- That's a BIG E!

It looks like the Eudoxa A is only a shade larger than the Oliv D :eek:

At least it isn't smaller! :cool:

Joe

11. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

Thanks for digging that out. exactly what I was looking for!

12. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

Lots of great info Joe. How does the arco feel compare between Oliv EA and Eudoxa EA?

13. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

Yah , the Oliv E is a heavy beast. Sometimes the pitz thump is just right for the Americana type stuff I do but I'd like to know what my new Upton Bohemian can sound like on the low end with a clearer pitz sound. The difference between
    the A's is minimal but probably adequate.

Cheers,
    Phil

14. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

On my carved bass the Eudoxas low strings were much darker- in a very positive way. It was very obvious; I had a number of people that I play with ask me if I had a different bass. For my setup, when amplified or run into the house boards was very obvious too. Compared to Spirocores with their nice slick, highly polished surface, the Eudoxas had almost a matt finish that I definitely noticed after a couple of sets playing...but I do lot of sliding and slurring and slapping and generally beating the daylights out of my bass all night long while the crowd is drinking and everyone is shaking it pretty hard....:hyper:

I still really like the voice of the Eudoxas, but in the end once you get the Spirocore thing in your head, it is almost impossible to give it up. Not to mention that the Spirocore Stark E almost blows the front door off the house with power and confidence!

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

15. DC Bass

Thanks James.

I found some other threads that detailed similar experiences to yours regarding the finish on the Eudoxa- it never bothered me.

I hear you on the Spiro thing- I'm back there myself albeit with Mitteln. I miss the power of the Stark but I'm too much of a wimp! :)

Joe