1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

OLP Musicman copies? Seems legit.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Apr 4, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

On my local CL is an OLP 5 string bass guitar for $250.

I am sort of a gear snob when it comes to brands but considering how broke I am, I Guess I can't complain.

what's your opinions of the OLPs? Good? Bad? Best alternative to a real EBMM/ SBMM? Worse than Squiers? I need a five string so I may pull the trigger on this one

2. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

cant comment on the musicman model, but i have 2 olp spector designs, they are nothing special, but solid. never had any problem with them.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Officially Licensed Product. The couple I have seen have been a cheap imitation at best. I would describe the tone as anemic. Some guys enjoy theirs, but I didn't like the ones I played. I have not played one of the EBMM in-house made cheaper models but I hear they are much better.

I cannot give you a direct price since you are not a supporting member but I can tell that asking price is way high.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

OLP (Officially Licensed Product) was licensed to produce low cost budget alternatives to the Musicman Stingray bass. They were passive basses (as opposed to the active Ernie Ball/Musicman Rays). Quality wise, they were decent but quality control wasn't quite so tight. You could get a good one or a lemon just as easily.
    They went out of business when Ernie Ball/Musicman pulled the license because EB/MM wanted to develop their own budget line of Ray basses and created Sterling.
    Sterling went even further to develop a budget line (within a budget brand) of Rays called the Sterling Sub. Goal was to create a sub $300 bass. A Sterling Sub Ray does indeed cost below $300 ($285) brand new and is much closer to the quality and features of the Ernie Ball Musicman Ray. It's an active bass with a 2band EQ. (much like the Ray classics) and has a sound that is pretty close to it- quality is fantastic for what you're paying.
    These basses are labeled Sterling by Musicman SUB on the headstock. It is a Ray. The OLP was a licensed clone not affiliated with Musicman.

I would definitely recommend getting a Sterling Sub Ray over any OLP considering the price. For less than $40 more, you get a BRAND NEW Sterling Sub Ray. You can also find used Sub Rays for less than $200 - I bought two for $149 and $159.

Here's a used walnut Sterling Sub Ray 4 string for $198 at GC. With shipping to your door and tax, it'll be about $230.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-STERLING-SUB-WALNUT-BASS-109945225-i3698680.gc

Here's a 5 string Sterling Sub Ray black for $219. With tax and shipping, it'll be $250.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...STRING-BASS-BLACK-MAPLE-110047955-i3697667.gc

rotaliscia likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I live in Canada so guitar center isn't an option and it's incredibly difficult to find a SUB series at our music stores.

7. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

OLP's need a lot of work and money to sound like a MM. If you're on a budget, look for a used Sterling by Musicman Ray34 or SB14. They're really good and will give you MM tones from the get go.

8. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Long and McQuade carries them. If they don't have anything up on the wall in one of the stores close to you, just ask them to bring one in.