Omni Tallboy 210 ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sifi2112, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sifi2112

sifi2112

So here's my problem ... I 'farted-out' my cab (PJB 9B 8 Ohms) playing low A on my Dingwall 5 string through one channel of my Yamaha P2500S power amp which putts out 275w @ 8 Ohms, now maybe I was expecting too much but I was a little surprised & disappointed as I didn't think I was playing 'that' loud. The Phil Jones cab is equivalent to a single 15" but adding another is not an option ... so here's my question,

Would an Omni Tallboy 12 be able to handle low A ? My Yamaha amp will bridge 650w odd watts at 8 Ohms (can't do 4 Ohms) so I was thinking more along the lines of two BP102 (these also come in 4 Ohm versions) as you mention these as an option on your site as an alternative to a single 2512. I am also thinking of just having a mid range driver as I use a Darkglass B3K distortion pedal a lot of the time & not sure how that will work with a tweeter, I'm hoping the mid driver might cover most of the top end. Please let me know what you think or would advise & if there are plans for a tweeterless TB210 :)

Thanks guys

Simon

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

What is the nominal power handling of the PJB cabinet?? You just might have too little power to drive the cabinet that low.

For a couple of years I played with a guitar player who liked to tune a semitone down so B flat. My Acme B2 cabinets handled that without a complaint. I have full confidence that they would do the same at A.

3. sifi2112

sifi2112

Don't think it was too little power, maybe trying to play a note lower than the cab's tuned for. I've read that it's really the first harmonic that cabs usually reproduce ... as much as I like the PJB cab I can't afford another cab so would rather build my own ... if it's a good option.

The only other 8 Ohm cab I've looked at is a GK Neo-II 212 but it would have to be 2nd hand & still not sure how it will handle low A .

Anyone built an tweeterless Omni ? Any opinions / pics ?

Bill,

Do you have any objection to just go with 210 / mid ?

If not, please let me know what I need to state in paypal etc to order plans ... :)

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Ask BFM on his forum. He left TB some time ago.

The first thing you need is a HPF to take away the fundamental nonsense. I don't know that even BFM's massive horn subs do A# fundamental.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

the way i read the pjb manual, http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=97 the 9b is an 8 ohm cabinet that should be good for about 900 watts. before you go with another cabinet, you may wish to try a high pass filter and run your current amp bridged (8 ohms).

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

This is what I was alluding to. If your amplifier cannot supply the cabinet the power that it needs the amp will clip and sound bad.

8. sifi2112

sifi2112

At what frequency should a HPF be set at ? Double low A ? 55Hz ? My Yamaha P2500s has this option but not sure of the roll off ...

9. sifi2112

sifi2112

I'll also rewire a speakon cable to run in bridged mode to see if the extra headroom helps along with different HPF settings .... maybe it's not my cab but I still shouldn't expect too much from a single 15" type cab or should I ?

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

experiment. start there and roll it down slowly. use your ears. i would suggest not going below 35 hz.

11. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks

Disclosures:
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    It won't horn load that low, but it does play that low.