On-board effects loop for bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by primusfan1989, Feb 18, 2013.

1. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

I've been reading a lot about Jerry Garcia's rig lately and the OBEL in his guitars. It was set up so his guitar signal went to an output (pre volume control) to his pedalboard then back to his guitar so he could have a stronger signal going to the effects (a mutron to be specific) and total output controlled by the volume control on the guitar as well as being able to bypass the whole effects chain. Has anyone ever tried this for bass or any reasons why it would be bad?
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Keep in mind, Jerry Garcia smoked a LOT of pot. This sounds like stoner theory at work to me. But ,if you want to run three cables from your bass, give it a shot. You won't hear any difference than guitar->pedals->amp, though.
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Much easier to run your instrument up full into the effects with a volume pedal at the end of the chain to control the output going to your amp/DI.
  4. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Well two cables would be used (stereo cable for the send and return, would require a junction box on the pedal board that would have the fx send and return for pedals).
    And so what, I smoke a lot pot too hehehe. As far as it being a stonery theory, you may be correct but I believe they may have been on to something.
    Never liked volume pedals, can't really get a feel for them(they take up a lot of space on a pedal board as well). I've just always prefered the onboard volume control on my bass. Also being able to bypass the fx from my bass would be nice too. They more pedals I try to add, the more the clean sound is colored (very few if any of my pedals are true bypass).
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I can't see any reason why someone would want or need to do this.
  7. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Yeah man, trying to wrap my head around it, too....
  8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I think I may see an explanation here...

And I do understand poor bypass in pedals can cause tone suck. That is what loopers are for.
  9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

LOL
  10. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Looper? Im pretty sure I know the kind of units you're referring to but they are expensive . The reason I would do this would be to
    A) have a wide open signal to send to pedals that have tracking issues (octaves, synths, enelope filters ect...) to get a more consistant sound (the reason Jerry cited for doing this)
    B) have it all bypassable by a toggle switch on my instrument (a lot of the sounds I use involve 3-4 different pedals, want to be able switch between them without having to add a bunch to my pedalboard)
    C) have the total output controlled on my bass instead of a volume pedal
  11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I'm with you on the volume pedal. Loopers aren't expensive, and I'd use that to turn a bunch of pedals of and on at once. Not buying the "clearer signal to my octave pedal" bit, but I can understand trying all kinds of shenanigans to get them to track a little better.
  12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It'd be way less of a hassle to get rid of the volume control in your bass, build a bluetooth wireless volume pedal, stick the pedal at the end of your chain, and put that bluetooth controller into your bass.