On-board mid-boost for J-bass ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fathand, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Fathand

Fathand

Ok, let's say that from time to time, I want to widen/boost the midrange of my J-bass and bring it closer to a P-bass sound. I've done this in the past by using EMG's and favouring the neck PU with about 70/30 split. But if I've got a passive bass with barts and want to do the same, do I have any on-board options? Basically an active, 1-band mid boost(/cut) that can be bypassed. E.g, would this do the job? http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-tc3.htm

The easiest choice would be to use an EQ-pedal, but I really don't want to add anything to my board, which is pretty much set up for a P-bass PU/tone..
  2. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

The TC-3 is not an EQ but a signal boost. Your tone will stay the same only get louder with it.
  3. Fathand

Fathand

That's what I understood at first, but then I read this: "It also can be wired so that different parts of the spectrum are boosted using a potentiometer and it will boost up to 40dB. "

I didn't really get from those schematics actually what parts of the spectrum we're talking about...
  4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Just wire your pickups to a series/parallel switch. I'm sure someone here could post a schematic for such a procedure. I'm thinking of doing this myself.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jobo4

jobo4

I read it the same way. I'd check with Bartolini and see if they have more information for this item. I for one would be very interested in a one band parametric eq which is how I understand their text to read.
  7. razboinikoff

razboinikoff

8. Fathand

Fathand

Actually, I have done that to one of my basses (with DiMarzio J's) previously and it's still on the table as an option. The series mode with those pickups was almost too much though, serious "ooomph" and punch. I reckon that with the Bartolini's it would be a bit more tamed soundwise, but still a good way to "Presicionize" the J-bass.

The original question came in mind when I was searching for a preamp, looking for something to tweak the mids with. There is a lot of Hi/Mid/Bass & Hi/Bass -preamps, but no "mid-only". With all of this sound customization going on, I'm surprised no-one would want a sweepable mid or just a certain mid cut/boost -pre.
  9. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

It would probably be the most cost-effective solution, and you could always just reverse it if you ended up not liking it.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

my choice is an Audere 4 band onboard preamp
  11. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Villex PRTB.

John East Mid-Sweep control.

Artec QTA.

And a big +1 to the series wiring option.
  12. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
  13. David Jayne

David Jayne

Just back off the bridge pickup a little. Or the neck.
    :cool:
  14. Fathand

Fathand

These..

and this..

..exactly what I was looking for. Thanks people, TB never fails. Now I just have to figure out which of these would suit my needs best.

EDIT: Looks like the EMG would have the best price/application ratio for me.. the wiring will be something else though, mixing passive non-EMG PU's with their solderless system (not surprisingly, they have no prepared instructions for that). Looks like it shouldn't be that hard though, keeping the wiring passive until the VMC pot and bypassing the battery bus by connecting the red cables directly (mainly for space issues, I don't want to make any new routing in the bass and the cavity in a J-bass can get a bit crowded..)
  15. razboinikoff

razboinikoff

I will repeat my recommendation for Blade mid boost - it's designed to work with J-bass and you can hear it installed on every B-1 or B-15 in shops around before you buy
  16. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I'm a fan of EMG's onboard EQs, but it's been a couple years since I've bought one.
    Do they only come with solderless connections now? After reading about JimmyM possibly destroying one while soldering to it, I think that's a bad move on EMG's part.