On line Retailers. What's your choice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SturmUndDrang, Mar 22, 2014.

1. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I've never bought from ZZsounds, AMS, Sweetwater or any similar type of online dealer. I want an SKB case for my Precision and a vintage threaded saddle bridge. I went in to Guitar Center yesterday and nobody could wait on me after 20 minutes so I bolted. Who's a good on line option?

2. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

I have been using Musicians Friend lately, they have been beating all of the deals and honoring the GC coupons as well. I just got a smoking deal on a Gallien Krueger NEO 412 - I am definitely a convert from the other retailers you mentioned.

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I've done a bunch of business with MusiciansFriend and have no complaints, but for the last year or so it's all been Sweetwater. Their service is unmatched.

MF's website is arguably better, and their selection is deeper, so you may not find exactly what you need at Sweetwater. That said, I recently bought an SKB ATA case and rack and they were both in stock at the time.

Sweetwater ships from Indiana and MF from KC (at least to East-Coast destinations...) so you should get your stuff pretty quickly either way.

Shop around, check the deals. And don't forget Amazon, especially if you have Prime. For me, it's 99% Sweetwater and 1% BassStringsOnline (they sell way more than strings, BTW...). MF is a fallback.

4. Big John66

Big John66

I'm pretty sold on Sweetwater too. Great CS, lots of gear choices and quick shipping.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

I've never had a bad experience with Musicians Friend, always down to beat a deal or just knock the price down just for the heck of it, especially if you call. And they have always been very understanding with returns/exchanges.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Sweetwater for me. They treat me well.

8. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Thanks for the responses. You all get 10% off your next purchase at the Carpet Center in Nashua NH. Just tell Ari that Sturm sent you.

9. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Sweetwater hands down as long as the prices are close

10. Bridge_Cable

Bridge_Cable

I've done business online with Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Zzounds, and Sweetwater. I had no problems with any of them.

Sweetwater's customer service seems like a huge step above the rest, though. They seem to really be interested in making sure you're not just satisfied, but very satisfied with your purchase and their service.

Just about a month ago I bought an SKB case for my Precision just like you're looking to do. Shipping was fast and they included a small bag of candy with my order. Bonus!

Take a virtual tour of Sweetwater here: http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/tour/

Why would you not want to do business with a company so dedicated to their employees and their customers? They get mine from now on.

11. aquamentus

aquamentus Supporting Member

I been using Musicians Friend for about 20 years.

12. Bridge_Cable

Bridge_Cable

Also, I forgot to mention that if you're ever shopping for a bass or guitar, their "Guitar Gallery" shows detailed pictures [and weight] of the instruments they have in stock, and you get to pick which one you buy.

As far as I know, no other major online retailer has matched that feature.

13. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Aaron at sweetwater....great guy!

Thabassplace.com is really good too! they took a return no questions asked and shipped out the new bass before I even packed up the old one. expensive bass too! so I have to give them props!

14. spade2you

spade2you

I shop local whenever possible. I have used Musicians Friend a bunch of times and have never had a problem.

15. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

zZounds, MF, 8th Street Music, and Music 123 have all done right by me over many years.

16. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I recently bought an acoustic guitar from Sweetwater. Not only did they have several pictures, but weights and serial numbers. They sent me pictures of it with the purchase confirmation and then called after I received it to see how I liked it. Best customer service, period.

17. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

MF for me for normal commodity stuff.

Chicago Music Exchange or Bass San Diego for the rest.

18. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I ended up getting the SKB 44 case and threaded saddle bridge from Musician's Friend. The case was a few bucks cheaper on MF and I couldn't find the bridge anywhere on Sweetwater's site. Thanks again for the opinions everybody.

19. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I have ordered my share of stuff from Sweetwater and they are fantastic to deal with. I think their pricing is always in the ballpark and their service is spectacular. They are a little light on selection when it comes to parts though. That's my only criticism.

20. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I checked amazon and they had good prices but I'm not down with drones.

21. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I have always had good luck with MF. They have good prices and ship quickly. I'm fortunate that I live 15 minutes from their warehouse so I usually get my stuff in a day or two.