1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

On/off switch Ibanez SR505-BM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Boy Blunder, Jan 10, 2014.

1. The Boy Blunder

The Boy Blunder

Hi all,

I need to put a on/off switch in my bass, so that my battery stop draining power. I have a special setup in which there is a permanent jack plugged into my bass. I can't unplug it because it is blocked by a midi-controller. There is no other way i can do this.

I bought a on/on mini switch, it has 6 connections on it. My bass is the Ibanez SR505-BM, i can't find the wiring diagram and then i don't know what wire to cut and where to solder it on the mini switch.

Can someone please help me, because now i have to disconnect to battery every time i quit playing. And i forget it every time, also i guess it is not good for the wires.

2. thrasher666

thrasher666

What you need to do is find the + wire coming from the battery, and splice the switch in there. Use a multi meter with an audible (bell) tone to test continuity off the switch terminals to determine which 2 terminals to use. It won't matter which way the electricity flows through the switch - as long as you can shut it off, it should be fine.

3. The Boy Blunder

The Boy Blunder

4. The Boy Blunder

The Boy Blunder

Here is the diagram for my bass:

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thrasher666

thrasher666

Well, if the switch in the first post is the one you bought, I don't think its the right one. You need a simple on/off switch. It should only have 2 terminals on the back. I can't tell you which wire to splice into cause I can't access the second link.

7. The Boy Blunder

The Boy Blunder

Oops, something went wrong with the link/image...here it is:

[​IMG]

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I don't see the image, apparently you have to be browsing that forum to view whatever it is you are trying to show us. Doesn't matter. The switch you have should be fine, more complex than you need for this purpose but that doesn't matter. You have to find the battery wires. You can cut either battery wire, doesn't really matter which one you cut. Then you solder the two ends of the cut battery wire to two of the contacts on your switch and you might have to splice some more wire into the cut battery lead so that it will reach the location where you want to place the switch. Solder the wire ends to the switch using any one of the following pairs of switch contacts: A0/A1 or A0/A2 or B0/B1 or B0/B2. Any of the four pairs fo contacts will work and none of them is any better than any of the others.

9. The Boy Blunder

The Boy Blunder

Thanks for the reply!! gonna try that tomorrow!