On/Off Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zokiux5, Jan 12, 2013.

1. zokiux5

zokiux5

Hello,
    I wanna ask you guys is there any way to make P-Bass with on/off switch replacing volume knob ? Or I can make it only with switch ?
  2. tabdog

tabdog

Yes. You can go from two wires off the
    pickup and run the hot through a simple
    low voltage switch. Then go directly to
    the output jack.

Easy to wire.

Tabdog
  3. Cadfael

Cadfael

Sorry; what do you mean???

A bit more precise, please ...

With a switch you can make that volume is always on or always off (Volume without function.
    Or what you you mean?
  4. line6man

line6man

Bad idea. That creates an infinite output impedance, which opens the door to "open cable buzz." What you do is short the output.

All you have to do is add this to standard P bass wiring.
    [​IMG]

5. Cadfael

Cadfael

Don't you use "this word" in English??? :confused:
    In Germany, we call line6man's solution a "Kill Switch" (we use the English expression without translation).
    The "short-circuit" is nothing else than the volume pot of a P-bass does - and is the best way to get silence.

When "newbies" think of "short-circuit", they think of dark rooms, trouble and a fault. But in this case, the "short-circuit" is nothing "wrong" but the best way to get silence.

As line6man wrote, the impedance is not infinite, but zero (sorry, no native speaker). This is indeed the best way to "tell" an amp to keep quiet ...
  6. abemo

abemo

Yes, and thats exactly what I have on my frankenP. Just add a basic on/off toggle between the hot and the ground (as line6man stated), no other controls neccessary if you don't want them. Getting rid of all the pots reduces the resistance between the pup and the jack, which makes it sound a bit hotter. The only funny thing is that the switch is a ground connection, so if the switch comes with an on/off plate it will be backwards, as the on position establishes a direct connection to ground.

And yes, its often called a killswitch, a mute, or an on switch.
  7. zokiux5

zokiux5

Oh thank you all I will try :) You know I have old cheap P-bass copy and I want to try few things on it and when I buy a new bass I just want to have only "switch" - just put in cable, turn it on and play :D
  8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    The only drawback to this is that when you remove everything between the pickup and jack and just install a switch, you're gonna end up with a VERY bright bass with no tone adjustment.
  9. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Yes, but then you can just plop in a 500K resistor in parallel, followed by a 500K resistor and the tone capacitor in parallel. This simulates a bass with all controls at full, which takes off some of the harsh treble.
  10. zokiux5

zokiux5

That's what I need. I will try to make it on that cheap bass and watch the results :)
  11. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

I'm going to do this soon with an Artec mudbucker. I don't think I'll have a problem with too much treble. ;)
  12. samer0214

samer0214

If you are looking to eliminate the Volume pot altogether, then the solutions suggested above give you the answer, otherwise Planet Waves has a cable series called The Circuit Breaker which effectively mutes the amp allowing you to plug/unplug your instrument without issues. This way you won't have to mess with or modify your guitar with this solution.
  13. abemo

abemo

How bright it turns out depends on the pup and the strings. I have mine with a vintage p pup and flats, not too bright, but enough to make me not miss my j.