On Stage cable/effects/amp/wireless setup?? Help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tspallone, Dec 29, 2013.

1. tspallone

tspallone

I've finally got all my effects linked up with levels set and everything sounds good. But, I'm at a loss for how to set everying thing up on stage.

I've been playing straight to amp in live situation (mainly because I hadn't gotten around to setting up the effects and making patch cables) and so, I'm not really sure how to physically set all this up.

I have 7 effect that, at home, I run from the bass, through all the effects, and then into the amp.

In a "standard" stage configuration, if all effects are in front of me at the bass of a mic stand, I guess this works in a small situation. But, think stadium size stage (not that I'm playing that soon), how is this done? 30 foot cable back to the amp?

Also, I have a wireless. How do I do this? Out of bass, into wireless on the floor in front of me and then into the effects chain? Doesn't seem right?

I don't like going through the effects send/return on the amp. Level loss and therefore, doesn't sound right.

Any help on this. I'd LOVE to get these effects going but, at times I just want to throw my hand up and just go wireless or cable straight into the amp and call it a day.:confused:
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You have a board, right? Just cable up and play.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Exactly.

As for the wireless, just put it at the beginning of the chain like you mentioned.

Don't over complicate it
  4. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ibanez
    Go Bass, wireless, then FX. If it sounds better to you straight in instead of the FX Loop, run it that way. There isn't really a wrong way to do it. If it is noisy going straight in add a Boss NS-2 last in the chain before the amp.
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i use my wireless with different rigs (even different instruments), so it lives on a little pedaltrain nano board on top of whatever amp i'm using.

cable from wireless out to in of pedalboard down in front of me (15-20', no big deal) out of pedalboard into amp.

one advantage of this setup is that if the wireless totally dies for some unlikely reason, i can just yank the cable out of it and plug right into the instrument, i'm good to go with plenty of cable length for the rest of the song or show.
  7. tspallone

tspallone

Thanks for the info. So, you go cable (out of the wireless, which sits atop the amp "back there") to your pedal board front of stage and then back to the amp. 15-20' TO board and then another 15-20' FROM broad? There's no problem with that?

That would be great if there isn't. I'll just do that.
  8. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    This is pretty much what I've been doing for years. No issues with tone change for me.
  9. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

I prefer to keep my wireless receiver in my pedal board. It's always hooked up ready to go...I just open the board and plug that and the receiver into my power strip, run a cable to my amp and I'm set up. When it's time to pack up I just unplug and put the top on the board...quick and easy. I've not had a problem with the wireless stopping working while playing...but I guess I could just grab the wire from the pedal board and plug it right into the bass if I had to...after hitting the mute on the amp of course.