1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

On the fence....GHS Pressurewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bumperbass, Feb 1, 2013.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

I really like the youtube videos I've heard with these strings. The threads on here are positive for the GHS Pressurewounds. I want to try them.
    I've been using D'Addario XL165's (45, 65, 85, 105) FOREVER. I'm looking for a little more thump and a little less twang. I play with pretty high action so that I can dig in and not get too much clank from the fretboard (I'll admit, I do get into it sometimes and my attack is pretty hard). I play 90% fingerstyle, classic rock, modern rock, and a few rock-ish country tunes.
    I play a MIM P-Bass (with Original '62 pickups).
    My question is, how is the tension of these strings compared to my XL165's? I wish GHS published a tension guide. :mad:
    Should I go with the ML7200 (44, 58, 80, 102) or the L7200 (40, 54, 76, 96)?
    For you guys that use them, what's the tension like?
    Jason says I shouldn't go any lighter than the M7200. I agree, but I am very concerned about the tension. I am not sure how long it might take me to adjust from say a 'rubber band' to a 'telephone pole'.
    Thanks a bunch. I want to get these on order.
  2. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I can't comment on the tension (compared to D'Addario), but as it stands, these are my favorite strings for my P-bass. I would go with the M7200 if I were you. You probably won't notice any difference.

M7200 is .044, .062, .084, .106. Pretty damn close!
  3. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I would get the gauges that are the closest to what you have. I really like the sound of Pressurewounds the minute I put a set on my bass.
  4. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

Jump over the fence.....I used to always use 105 boomers or fender 8250s on my jazz bass

Tension for me is perfect on ml7200s. I can still dig in but can also bend it if I want to. Plus they sound good for a decent range of music like you play
  5. bumperbass

bumperbass

Thanks, guys. Have money, will order!
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Pressurewounds are generally a little stiffer feeling, since they start out as a bigger string then are compressed down. So they may start as a .107 so they can end up with a .105.
  7. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Yes, I think that is right, they will have a little higher tension than a standard string of the same gauge.

I like Pressurewounds by the way ... they sound a lot like Boomers, with just a little less 'zing'.
  8. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I would describe the tension more as "medium"

I love these strings