1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

On the hunt for a new guitar..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatCoolBassist, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I have a gig in a few weeks, I'll be playing lead, and I sold my strat! Anyone know of any budget guitars under 200ish?? I know what your thinking; "this is a bass forum.." Okay, i know I'm not the only swinging bass player here:p help a brother out!

2. alecduncan

alecduncan

3. KablesP

KablesP

I don't want to be a complete a-hole but have you Googled best budget guitar or best guitar under *insert price*?

What kind of guitar do you want? Strat style, les Paul, tremelo bar... Any preference on pickups? Does it have to be versatile? What kind of music?

4. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Doesn’t Squier have some budget Strats?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Check GC’s used inventory on line.

7. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Media:
    Albums:
    Agile guitars from Rondo Music dot com.

8. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I've been pleased with basses from Rondo in the past. This might not be a bad option.
    Otherwise, I was happy with an Epiphone LP wannabe I had a while back.

9. meteor

meteor

speaking of epiphone, their LesPaul Special II is worth checking out, and should be around 200 new.

10. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I play classics, from Temptations to Bon Jovi! So its gotta. Sound nice clean, and be able to scream.

11. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

You could get a Squier Tele new (affinity) or a VM use if you get lucky. My Affinity is pretty darn good, it's got a good neck on it, although to be honest it's not all the way up to par with my MIA Fender but it also costs a lot less. But the Squier's wicked good, all things considered

12. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

13. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

Yeah, Rondo music or Guitar Fetish, or really any one of a zillion used ibanez, Peavey, Epiphone or Squiers on your local Craigslist. On cheapie guitars I have found that the setup and condition varies so much that it is really impossible name a good individual model as any model under $200 will have stinkers and winners. If you can do your own setup and fret work you can make a decent playing instrument out of just about anything.

14. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

My local Craiglist has squier strats and warlocks haha neither of which I'm too interested in ;)

15. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I've played the silo, pretty sweet guitar especially for the price. My other favorite budget guitar is the Fender Modern Player HSS strat, although at $400 it may be a bit out of your price range.

16. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I'm leaning on the silo.. it seems to have just the versatility I need & I could get one in near perfect condition at GC for $119...tempting! :eek:

17. sketch

sketch

For classics and covers, I'd recommend a guitar with a single-coil neck pickup and a humbucker bridge (" clean to scream"). Other things- vibrato bridges or whatever- are up to you... Fat strat or fat tele, just walk in to any Guitar Center type place and check the used section and the squier selection.

Perhaps also ask some musician friends to borrow a guitar?

18. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I suppose I might just have to use my old les paul copy for this gig. Its got dead frets past the 14th.
    Anyways, I'm digging that HSS style though, seems to be just what I need.

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member