1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

once again: Nordstrand J vs. Fralin J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by denchiq, May 5, 2009.

1. denchiq

denchiq

I have seen several threads discussing passive J pickups, quite a few of them praised Nordstrand and Lindy Fralin for great representation of classic vibe. I couldn't find one comparing them side-by-side though and, as I understand it, "vibe" is something very subjective, like an appeal of some sort.
    Could you guys please explain the acoustic difference between 'em?
    Thanks,
    Denis

2. dwc3690

dwc3690

I would also like to know about this.

3. tranceFusion

tranceFusion

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Been contemplating this myself.

I had a G&L JB2 that, while I loved the bass, hated the harsh pickups. Not much bottom, and really ganky top end. I put Nord NJ4's in there. Fatter, smoother, mellower. Very even across the spectrum.

I have Fralins in my Lakland JO5, and they aren't ganky like the G&L JB2 pups were, but they are definately much more aggressive on top.

7. EZ9R

EZ9R

Been playing for 26 years. Owned around 35 basses....4, 5, 6 string. Went back to 5 string in 2000. Admire that Jaco sound, wanted to go back to 4 string passive Jazz bass last year. Order a set of Norstrands NJ4SE from Blueberry Hill bass for my Geddy Jazz and was blown away. Bought a 2008 Fender Jazz. Before I plugged it in, I swapped out the pickups to the Nordstrand NJ4SE and have the sound that I was always looking for. That bridge pickup, ala Jaco (Heavy Weather) Sound.
    My '08 Fender Jazz is my #1 bass. I'm keeping it passive. I have 3 stompbox preamps because I didn't want to ad an onboard preamp. Have a Demeter, MXR M80 and the Aguilar Tone Hammer. I mostly favor the MXR. Tweeking the lows and highs depending on room.
    And the one very important thing to me is it's noiseless, but sounds like a single coil.
    Nordstrands are in the top 3 most important piece of gear I've ever bought. I don't know Carey or anyone at Blueberry Hill bass. It's just IMO.
    Of course each player has his style. I like to be in front of the mix, soloing the bridge pu, playing 95% of the time finger style. Again....Ala Jaco, Jeff Berlin, Gary Willis. I play in a Fusion band and a straight ahead band with electric instruments.
    When I do slap, I use both pickups and has that Marcus sound. For me, the NJ4SE was the perfect choice.

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Thanks EZ9R, Chef and of course Blueberryhill

My situation mirriors EZ9R quite a bit actually.

I have been playing Nordstrand pickups (Big Singles and MM4.2) and I really like them both and after reading about the NJ4 I'm motivated to build a new bass just to be able to put a set of them in there.:bag::p:bassist:

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

My number one bass is a 2003 Jazz with Lindy Fralin's noiseless Split-Jazz pickups. I've never tried Nordstrands, but FWIW I agree with the description of Fralins on the Blueberry Hill site. They have a slightly "loose" low end, and a gritty texture. (This applies to the P-bass pickup too, which I have in my 2004 P.)

I think they're fantastic pickups, which sound very close to pure single coils. In fact, they sound almost identical to the singles in my 2008 Jazz V, except they lose some "sparkle" and "air" in the highs. But I usually roll off the treble some anyway, so for me going noiseless was worth it, no question. Like EZ9R, good noiseless pickups are among the more worthwhile gear purchases I've made, both for my J and my 2004 Strat, which has near-noiseless Lace Sensor Hot Golds.

I do want to try Nordstrands. I'm thinking about another J in which to install NJ4SE's, because I'd like an even thicker version of classic J tone.

10. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I've done a some searches and wanted to chime in on this old subject...

I picked up a 2008 American Standard Jazz Bass with Frailins. I loved the classic vintage tone, but I agree with what I've read in various threads... "the bottom is a little mushy and soft like a pillow"

I put in the NJ5S and got what I'm looking for. The bottom is tight and full. I can play just the bridge pickup and get plenty of bottom end. Add the neck pickup and it's fat city without mushy/pillow....

I prefer the Nordstrands to the Fralins in my J5 and use a Fralin in my P...