1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luke S Mouse, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Disclosures:
    Yes, this douchebag just posted again
    Who here on the wonderful forums on talkbass finds themselves content with a single bass? It comes up cause I have found a really good bass which I kind of can't seeing myself needing anything else. The most famous example of this I can think of off the top of my head is Carlos D from Interpol and his black Fender Jazz.
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I have a bunch but I play a huge range of music.

If I only played blues, I would likely only own/play a P.
    If I only played Funk, I would only own/p,ay a Jazz.

Etc.
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I am very satisfied with my bass. Its a $2000 Stambaugh. For a while I used a Squire Jag at home, but then wondered why I didn't just play my Stammie at home too. So now I do and the Jag sits untouched in its case. I have a couple of SXs and the Squire Jag, but never touch them. Soon I'll be selling all my basses and just keep to the one. I am tempted to keep the Jag as a backup, but I have never damaged a bass (ie broken tuner), much less broken a string and never bring a backup to a gig. Worse case scenario I could always rent a bass in an emergency.

There will be alot guys saying they need more than one bass for a variety of tones they bring, but I am a 'one trick pony' player. My Stambaugh is miles better than any other bass I've ever owned or even tried at a music store. Life is too short to play anything else. :bassist:
  4. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

My 2002 American Deluxe P bass. I will always want more basses as no two basses are the same. But If I were to only be allowed one bass, it would be my American Deluxe. So much tonal variety and I just love the balls that she has. Quite beautiful.
  5. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Disclosures:
    That's my exact feeling with my Warwick Rockbass I bought just a while ago. Cost me more than any other bass I've ever bought, and the sound certainly shows it.
  6. Interius

Interius

I already have what I need, but not what I'm GASing for. Got a Fender Jaguar, and a currently neckless Jazz, but I'm saving cash for a P-bass, probably Am.STD. Ain't nothing like that P-bass sound.. :)
  7. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Just one bass? Why? I've managed to just one woman, and that's not easy: so, why should I limit to just one bass?... :D
    Seriously: currently I own seven basses, and each one of them has its own personality, its own use, and seldom I use the same bass in different types of gig. I know, with my modded J I could cover many situations, but I like to enjoy all the thinnest nuances of sound and feel I can obtain from each single bass.
    I must admit: I'm quite satisfied with my basses, I plan to sell the only fiver beacuse I don't play it anymore, but surely I'm ready to buy some more basses, according to my needs and my money.
  8. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

I own 3 basses, but find my self gravitating to one for very long periods of time. Recently it has been my J bass. I think it wouyld be weird to not have the other two. It is cool to know that when I get bored with one, I have the other ones to relieve the boredom.

I could never see myself owning more than 5 though. I feel bad enough that the other two get ignored
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I am trying to minimize everything in my life. I only have two arms. :smug: Tonal variety is not important to me.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

It's nice to have one with flats and one with rounds. If you don't want the tonality of both, one bass is all you may need; nothing wrong with that. I have six and I am merely a recreational player. It's just that so many really nice inexpensive basses are available now that its fun to play them all and I contend they are the nicest things in my living room. A big nod to my wife whom allows me to display and play them there.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One at a time, maybe. A salesman at GC told me he had 41 basses, right in front of my wife. So now I believe 41 basses is the optimal number, and so does my wife.
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Unless you are a studio musician, or do a lot of pickup gigs, one bass should suffice. In a live situation as long as the tone sits in the mix, one bass will be enough. In a studio situation you may be asked to have the standard P or J. The same may be the case for a specific fill in situation.
  13. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Disclosures:
    For me it has everything to do with the financial aspect. GASing is a strain on the wallet and I'd rather just have some stability in the bass playing aspect of my life rather than be looking for the next bass all the time. I don't know, maybe it'll change but for now my current setup just feeling right.
  14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Line 6 Variax 700 done
  15. monti2889

monti2889

but, it's always nice to have a spare/back up. It's a pain in the butt to change a broken string in the middle of a set, or a broken ground...etc. If you do studio stuff and have a favorite then you may not need the back up, cause if something goes wrong, you can fix it and just re record the track. Also, most studios have stuff there that you can try or use.

I have 2 main basses that I use, I have a semi acoustic fretless for more acoustic gigs, and then just a couple hanging around for more sentimental reasons.
  16. Dean N

Dean N

I need to get your wife to meet my wife.

If I had to go with just one, it'd be a jazz with active/passive option. No, who am I kidding? It'd be a Wal.
  17. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

I have one upright, one fretless, and one fretted. I don't consider any of that redundant - they're different beasts. So that's kinda like one bass ...

... okay, I have another fretted too. It doesn't get played, but it's got too much sentimental value to sell.

If I had to go with one, it would be my upright, as that's what I'm playing 95% of the time these days.
  18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

I find myself content with several single basses. :D

I could get by with one bass and sometimes I wish I had only one (or two...). But, I'm fortunate enough to have more and also like just picking up a different one now and then and most of them have their own sound and feel.

That being said, I have been gravitating towards two basses these days.
  19. Mykk

Mykk

Do you need more than one car?

Would you like to have the option of driving the Porsche today instead of the Escalade?

I have my favorite bass that see's 90% of the studio & stage time. And than I have four more, for options.
  20. mcm

mcm

Use to have 5 or 6 basses sitting around. Wanted to go back to simplicity and the basics. Got rid of them and kept my 08 Mia pbass 4 string w flats. Prob help my playing actually.