1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

One for fearful builders

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Discharge, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

I am talking to am authorised fearful builder and he posed me this question:

"One thing that I'd appreciate your thoughts on. The issue we have had with the flatpacks is that the rebate channels we have been cutting to locate the panels can end up slightly shallow in places if the ply is at all slightly warped. This then causes problems bringing the panels together. So we are actually considering simplifying the process so we just supply the panels all pre cut (inc baffle holes, handle and connector plate holes), but with no locating rebates. We might also supply a couple of simple jigs to help get the port shelf set to the correct height etc.*

Do you think that would make things too tricky for people? The issue is that it's never going to be "Ikea-easy", it's just a matter of how much DIY capability we require."

I don't know how this would affect the cab?

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Building these cabs is really not that hard. I had zero woodworking experience and built two of them from scratch. That said, I do like to tinker with things and I guess I'm a bit handy. However, I bet that the vast majority of people could build one if they did it slow and methodical.

Another way to look at it is:

If you are handy build your own.

If you have some ability but no tools and generally are not quite sure, do the flatpack.

If you are apprehensive about glue or screwdrivers (etc) buy one from an AB.

These are all generalizations of course.

3. nick98338

nick98338

I have built two fEARful cabs without any "rebate channels". They work fine. They sound fine. I have thought that the purpose for the channels was to aid in positioning panels for gluing. So, the "affect" on the cab is only to change the relative ease of how the cab is assembled. I didn't need any help in positioning the panels. I know how to position, and glue panels. But, I suppose that a total woodworking rookie might like having the channels, or biscuit slots, to help get things lined up. IRMV

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Wouldn't affect the integrity of the cab. Seems they're balancing some shipping or "laying around after the cuts" issues with keeping things as "user friendly" as you can for very novice builders.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    We should talk. I want to demo some fEarful cabs before I take a dive in and build one, only to find that I don't like them. Graham isn't too far from me - which cabs do you have?

7. sowilson

sowilson

Cut buscuit slots in the panels for doing locating. Or better yet, have the guy who's making the rebates (dato's) learn how to do them properly. He needs to rig correctly so that pressure is applied to the panel when he's making the cut.