One for the books...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

So the band did a gig this weekend for a political event.pretty easy gig, just some warmup music before the featured speakers. Our governor spoke before the music started and the band was sitting at tables because they offered us a free dinner. So while the governor was speaking he was getting some nasty feedback from the house PA system. The manager of the facility came to me and said our system is causing that. I said impossible our system has nothing to do with his house system plus all channels on outboard were muted no hot mics.

So manager boy leaves me. I watch him start speaking to one of the governor's body guard who was clearly annoyed at the feedback. The guard pointed towards our gear and this idiot manager walks over to the outlets and promptly rips all our cords out of the outlets! Of course, all our equipment was on because we were going to play after governor's talk. I about lost my mind. We just purchased a new QSC system and this was only the second gig using it.

So after governor's speech I find manager boy and ask ***? He said the bodyguard told him to do it to stop feedback. I asked him did he notice after he pulled our cords the feedback continued? He remarked yeah, really thought that was it because his system works well. I explained rather sternly why it's not good to cut power by pulling cords out of outlets. He told me, " I didn't know that". To which I replied, "then why are you doing something with my gear that you have no idea what would happen?" He had nothing.

So I go up to the stage turn every switch off, then plug everything in, then power up each speaker and mixer, etc. then I get this loud strange sound coming from the QSC's! Now I'm in panic/angry mode. I shut everything down again, then refine it up. This time everything seemed okay, did the gig and then went home. Manager boy comes up to me and asks if everything is okay. I kind of let him have it. About why its not good to touch thousand of dollars of equipment if you don't know what you're doing. He looks at me puzzled. Now earlier in the evening he found out I'm an attorney. I looked at him and simply told him I hope the facility has a good insurance policy in case our gear isn't the same.

Then I find out we might be back at this facility in May. If so, they're getting a letter stating in writing our equipment is not to be touched by facility staff. Morons.
  2. armywalaby

armywalaby

I can see the benefit of being a bass playing lawyer.
  3. stingray2112

stingray2112

That's ridiculous. You kept your cool a lot better than most people would have.
  4. Beano_z

Beano_z

Lawschool does pay off!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fenderbassman40

fenderbassman40

What song did you play first after all that went down? I hope it was something scathing about how much politicians Suck
  7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Are we talking about gov. Scott Walker here? Oh do post video of him speaking with the nasty feedback blaring if you have links to it! :D
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I usually don't have any issues once I make it clear that my brother and three of my best friends are lawyers. My brother does Intellectual Property, one friend specializes in Contracts, and has worked with REO Speedwagon, Bon Jovi and and many others. The other two do litigation. It's nice to have people watching your back.
  9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Speaking of lawyers... Some of my friends and I started a cover band about 19 years ago. I was a federal agent (investigator), and the other 4 guys were all Assistant U.S. Attorneys (federal prosecutors). I always told everybody that I was the one who kept them grounded, and kept all those egos in check. ;)

We've had some turnover over the years, but we're still together. As you can imagine, I'm always looking for good lawyer jokes to hammer them with... :D
  10. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Agreed. Had it been me I would have more than likely got up and ripped their system out from power, and I don't just mean unplug I actually mean I would have pulled on the cord until it came out.
  11. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

I read recently (can't remember where) that the U.S. accounts for 5% of the world population but 50% of the worlds lawyers. Sounded unlikely to me but if three quarters of a cover band are lawyers perhaps it's true?
  12. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Tonight! One night only! The musical stylings of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe!
  13. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Followed by Koochi, Koochi and Koo...
  14. Richland123

Richland123

Did you open with "Jive Talkin"?
  15. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Or Bobby Fuller. I fought the law, and the law won.

16. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Kudos for keeping your cool as well as you did. I had a similar experience where another "bass player" cut power to my hot SVT and I jumped on stage and pinned him to the wall by his throat and yelled in his face that "if my equipment was broken because of him, he would either pay me for it, or I would beat it out of him". Everything turned out to be fine, but by the look on his face, I'm betting he had to go change his shorts.

Not that everyone will agree with my reaction, but if you don't know what you're doing around equipment, you have no business touching it, especially when it doesn't belong to you.
  17. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

What's the difference between a carp and a lawyer?

One's a scum sucking bottom feeder and the other's a fish.
    Fishheadjoe
  18. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Way to lay down the law

bawhahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry