One for the pros...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rich McCoy, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

...someone must have an experienced suggestion or an educated guess.

I have a '94 mim Fender Jazz with the infamous two neck-pickups design.
    I know these are the same polarity so hum cancelling is impossible.

So my question is if I wire these in series/in-phase would it work? Would it hum cancel?
    I know it would work, but would it be ideal?

Changing pickups is not an option since I do not want to route the body, and keep it original.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Changing pickups is an option, you could always use two noiseless neck pickups like the Duncan STK-J2n.

Your other option would be to get a pair of neodymium magnets, mount them to something that you can pass the pickup through, then you can reverse the polarity of one of your pickups. You will probably have to reverse the ground and signal wires as well.

Here is the little rig I made. It cost all of $5.00 to make, I just super glued the magnets to the clamp. I used the clamp because you can adjust the spacing for different pickups.
    [​IMG]

3. RobbieK

RobbieK

series wiring would hum even more.

If the pickup has a ceramic magnet, you can often remove and reglue these pretty easily to reverse the polarity.

If they are normal alnico magnets, you can also turn the pickup bobbin upside down inside the cover. You'll have to solder the wires from the other direction and also probably file a little notch if the cover is a snug fit, but this will work fine.

The neo magnets works fine too.

How ever you reverse the polarity, you'll have to reverse the wires to the pickup as well so its signal is in phase.

4. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

That's what I was afraid of, I had a feeling that would happen.:spit:

Well I'll have to think about both of your suggestions. I am thinking two hum-cancelling neck PuPs may be prudent. I could get a hot nasty neck PuP for the bridge and a kinder/gentler one for the neck and leave the rest to PuP height.

Thanks all!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

You would be better off just getting two of the same pickups and setting the bridge pickup closer to the strings if they don't balance exactly. But I doubt you would have that problem. Most pickup sets are wound pretty close to each other.

7. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I forgot about the hum-cancelling. They would probably have to be the same.

Edit: oh crap, they are already hum-cancelling.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Changing pickups is totally an option. Bartolini 9J-1 S/SB is a split-coil set with two neck-size pickups. They should drop right in.

9. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Yes I saw those too.
    Any experience with them?

10. Hopkins

Barts excel when they are paired with a preamp. I'm not a huge fan of them passive.

11. elgecko

elgecko

I have a pair in my Franken-Modulus VJ. They sound jazzy and they don't hum. I like em.

12. lz4005

lz4005

I have a MIM J from around the same era. My repair guy at the time (when I bought it in 94/95) flipped the bobbin and reversed the wires in one of the pickups and they hum cancel and sound great. It's actually the highest output passive bass I've ever played.

13. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

You could buy two single humbuckers. I know DiMarzio sells singles for this type of situation.

14. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I don't understand the whole flipping the bobbin thing.
    Do you just take it out and flip it 180 degrees? Are the same poles under the same strings? Or do I flip it length-wise ending with the g pole pieces under the e string?

15. MPU

MPU

180 deg turn.

16. Hopkins

Its not quite as easy as simply flipping the pickup over. The lead wires have to be desoldered and and ran from the inside of the bobbin instead of the bottom side. Reversing the polarity is the best way to do it.

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... no routing needed .. 20 minutes with a Dremel, and you can use any pups that you want to ... ;)

18. RobbieK

RobbieK

Yeah neos are really cheap these days. So if you decide to reverse the magnets this way, go for it. At the end of the day if you some how mess it up, it's only a cheap pickup in the first place. Just be careful with neo mags. They can give you a really nasty pinch, plus they can shatter pretty easily. Use safety specs just in case.

I may have misunderstood your advice here? That will just put your pickups out of phase. You must reverse the magnets and reverse the wires.

I wouldn't worry about which way the pickups are actually wound. It's nice if it works out that both coils have their starts (inner) at earth, but this is secondary to getting a hum cancelling pair.

If you do change pickups altogether, personally I'd go for a pair of pickups that are hum-cancelling in their own right.

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

on an old mexi, the two pickups are identical, so you'd need to reverse the coil direction and the magnets.

it is doable, by prying off and flipping over the ceramic bars underneath then reversing the hot and ground wires.

it's just hardly worth it, those pickups are bottom of the barrel.

20. walterw

on an old mexi, the two pickups are identical, so you'd need to reverse the coil direction and the magnets of one of them.

it is doable, by prying off, flipping over then regluing the ceramic bar magnets underneath, then reversing the hot and ground wires.

it's just hardly worth it, those pickups are bottom of the barrel.

21. walterw

there's no real reason not to do the minimal routing to mod the bass to fit proper jazz pickups; sorry, but there's no collector's value here, "original" or not.