1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

One huge piece of ship

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Ok, not really a "piece" or even a "ship," but that title's a little catchier than "world's largest FLNG facility under construction."

I was reading through a trade magazine at work this morning and came across an article stating the first steel has recently been cut on Shell's Prelude project, which will be the largest sea-going structure ever produced. What particularly impressed me was this:

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3099:first-steel-cut-for-prelude-flng&catid=78:oops:il-a-gas&Itemid=190

[​IMG]

When completed this structure will be just a shade over 1600 ft long (488m) and 243 ft wide (74m) and will come in weighing a bit over 600,000 long tons (672k US tons).

I'm a nerd for this kind of stuff, and know there's plenty of nerds here, so thought some of you might find this interesting.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

What a target for an incendiary 50 cal !

3. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Ill bet they're gonna have a hard time finding a berth for that ship. :eek:

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

bet it handles corners like a dog.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    I'd be interested in seeing the tow plan to get that thing from Korea to West Australia, then get it set in position. I wonder if it will be Dynamic Positioning enabled or use static lines/anchoring system?

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Huge piece of ship....tee hee (beavis laugh)

8. Sublab

Sublab

And there will be documentaries about how it has been made once it's done. Great!

9. nortonrider

nortonrider

25 year service life .......then what?

Will it end up off of the coast of India leaking it's toxic substances into the Ocean like so many "retired" ships?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Don't forget about the documentary on "how it destroyed the wild life and environment in some heavenly place".