One-man band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Huge94, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Huge94

Huge94

Or woman, obviously.

Anyone here feel the urge of doing it all by yourself? Whether because you cannot find people intrerested in making your type of music, because you don,t like being around people, or simply because you damn want to, being a one-man band seems to me logical for many reasons.

I am a bassist first and foremost, but I also dabble in drums and am now picking up guitar. The main reason why I wan to do it all by myself, including recording, is a healthy mix of the three aforementioned reasons. First, I wanna play doom metal, but it seems most people loke the sludge/stoner type of doom as opposed to what I enjoy most, funeral doom metal (Ahab, Mournful Congregation, Shape of Despair type of thing). Secondly, I,ve been for a few years having anxiety troubles and with people,s expectations in my bass playing. I have been in a very serious band in which they wanted me to handle much more I felt I could and now I,m having trouble fitting in a band. Thirdly, it would just be awesome to be aple to put out the exact thing I want. No compromise, no dealing with otherr people's needs, just mine.

Anyone else has that urge? Anyone here does/did it?

Thanks for reading
  2. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

I'm primarily a bassist, but I play guitar when I have to. A few years back, I went through a slow gig period and decided to start picking up some solo acoustic gigs, using a phrase recorder/loop-station to lay down pseudo-drums and chord progressions to solo over. It was fun for awhile, and the money was great (mostly the "not sharing it" part). I will say, though, that I quickly tired of it. Yes, you reap all the benefits, but you also bear all the risk and all the responsibility.

Sometimes, putting up with other people's BS from time to time is worth it just to have a team in your corner.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Go for it ~

Tip: Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 and Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio 6.
  4. EricssonB

EricssonB

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I play bass (guitar and upright), guitar (acoustic and electric), keys ... and have just taken up lap steel guitar ... as well as being a vocalist. I play one or more of these in bands, duos, etc. But ... I also enjoy arranging and recording songs with multiple instruments, 2/3/4 part harmonies and such. It's all good.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Sure you can be a "one man band" with backing tracks. But that's not my definition of a "one man band".

I've seen a couple of guys who were rather impressive at playing guitar, using a well-programmed drum machine, and playing bass with their feet using a midi controller that looks like organ pedals. Just put a harmonica around your neck to complete the ensemble. Once local guy was very talented and pulled of some difficult songs all by himself. He had a house gig for years and could really get the crowd rolling.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

While I'll record all the parts myself, there's no way in hell I'd ever take it to the stage. That's just a short step up from karaoke. I'd rather form a band with guys who can learn the parts.
  9. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Been for 20 years.-Thats why I have 23 instruments-like to just record for my own enjoyment-have no use for playing with anyone-too much trouble for me.
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    To each their own, I guess. For me there's nothing cooler than that moment when you play together, the whole band is on the same page, you have a groove going that leaves you smiling for a long time. Doesn't happen every song, I admit :), or even one in five, but when it does it really makes me happy.

Making music on my own is fun too, but more on an intellectual level than emotional, it doesn't bring that rush.

You can have both, of course.
  11. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

I've done a solo gig in the past playing my acoustic guitar with either backing tracks or MIDI files. Small PA, iPod with backing tracks or recorded MIDI files, back up duplicate iPod with same songs and ready to go. I've also done a duo with an electronic drum machine. I played bass, the other guy played guitar and we had an instant trio. It was cool. The drum machine didn't want a cut of the take, it didn't get drunk and it never missed a beat.